Broody hen, living arrangements

Tilly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 19, 2008
Do people ever keep their broody hens (on eggs) inside.
Or does everyone keep them outside?

I have my broodie outside (in her own little hen house) but was wondering what others do

Last edited:
I have a 2' wide x 4' long x 2' high (not counting the legs it is on) brooder pen. It houses one broody bantam very comfortably. She has 3 foot long run, and a 1 foot x 2 foot area where she and her precious eggs are. This brooder pen is housed inside my banty coop. She gets the company of the other birds, but they cannot disturb her or her nest.

I have her food and water in teh 3 foot run and she runs out 2-3 times a day for a quick bite and to eat. I use a small hand trowel to scoop out her broody poo.
smile.png

If my husband would let me keep my broodies inside I totally would!

Your boody pen sounds like the rabbit hutch I have. It has a little house at one end, and the rest is wire bottomed. I think it is made of cedar and is up on legs. I got it at the Pet store, but it was an expensive hutch for what it is. It would be easy to make if you had the time/skills. Since our rabbit decided she prefers to roam free, it makes a great broody-hen safe haven.

Quote:
ROTFL

actually, it was a homemade rabbit hutch my husband built me. I have never had good luck with rabbits, so I scrubbed it out and shortened the legs, moved the doors to the top (we actually used 3 old kitchen cabinet doors for the top) and moved my broody in!

Back
Top Bottom