Broody hen lost her baby?

chicklets81

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
I have a broody hen on day 21 of being broody. She sat on 2 eggs. At night on day 20, one of the eggs had a pip.

I work days, hubby works evenings, so he opens the chicken door after he wakes up later in the morning.

I forgot to tell him that it was hatching day, and to check on the broody hen in box.

I got home yesterday, around 5 pm, and the chickens were out, coop door open, with just the broody hen inside her nesting box in the coop. And much to my surprise, her 1st hatching chick was *gone*. There were egg shell pieces under her, and the 2nd egg that was starting to pip. But no sign of the 1st chick. The coop is elevated, with cinder block stairs. I checked all around coop, with no signs of a scared baby chick. What are the chances of the other hens *eating* a new chick? Or is it likely the chick ran off? There are no signs of baby chick body parts either...it seems to just be a big mystery. (to make this sad story worse, the 2nd egg pipped, but then died)the sad conclu

Any thoughts are appreciated. I thought hens kept their chicks close by, so I'm confused about why this chick went missing.

This is my 2nd spring having chickens, they are all 2 years old, and going broody for their first time.

So, my next question is, will the momma hen eat her chick too, or just the other hens?

Meaning, can I leave chicks in a dog crate with her locked up, or do the chicks need to be completely separated because they can be eaten by momma hen too?

Id like to figure all of this out, incase I get another broody.

I have a broody hen on day 21 of being broody. She sat on 2 eggs. At night on day 20, one of the eggs had a pip.

I work days, hubby works evenings, so he opens the chicken door after he wakes up later in the morning.

I forgot to tell him that it was hatching day, and to check on the broody hen in box.

I got home yesterday, around 5 pm, and the chickens were out, coop door open, with just the broody hen inside her nesting box in the coop. And much to my surprise, her 1st hatching chick was *gone*. There were egg shell pieces under her, and the 2nd egg that was starting to pip. But no sign of the 1st chick. The coop is elevated, with cinder block stairs. I checked all around coop, with no signs of a scared baby chick. What are the chances of the other hens *eating* a new chick? Or is it likely the chick ran off? There are no signs of baby chick body parts either...it seems to just be a big mystery. (to make this sad story worse, the 2nd egg pipped, but then died)the sad conclu

Any thoughts are appreciated. I thought hens kept their chicks close by, so I'm confused about why this chick went missing.
Are you sure it was just the second egg that pipped or was it both of them? Because it could have been an infertile egg which has a tendency to explode.

I watched both develop with a strong flashlight. Both had moving, chicks inside, and were getting ready to hatch on day 19. I watched the 1st egg pip. It had made a couple of holes, on the night of the 20th day, while the 2nd egg had none. I was super excited. On day 21, the 1st egg was gone, just little shell pieces remained on floor of nesting box, no chick, and the 2nd egg had started to pip.

I watched both develop with a strong flashlight. Both had moving, chicks inside, and were getting ready to hatch on day 19. I watched the 1st egg pip. It had made a couple of holes, on the night of the 20th day, while the 2nd egg had none. I was super excited. On day 21, the 1st egg was gone, just little shell pieces remained on floor of nesting box, no chick, and the 2nd egg had started to pip.
Wow, okay. I'm really sorry to hear about your chick then!

Back
Top Bottom