Broody hen moves to a new hen box

aizarra

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2016
Ok, so some of you may have read my previous thread about first time broody hen and the unfortunate outcome of trying to move her to a smaller coop about day 18. She never went back on the eggs so I lost them.
New issue, question - after I moved her back to main coop, the very next day she was back in hen box laying on a new set of eggs! Even though she had already been laying for close to 21 days I decided to let her lay again and see what happens. So, I marked the eggs, put 3 more under her same day. Now after 4 days she moved to another hen box and abandoned the eggs. Is this normal? Why would she move? I'm new at this obviously so not sure what to do. Let her sit again, break her broodiness? Idk
Thanks for any advise

I'm not an expert by any means, but if she's not staying with the same eggs there's no way they'll hatch. I would try the break her broodiness. How old is she? What breed? Is this her first time broody? Does she normally sleep in the box or on a perch?
Edit: When you say "laying" do you mean sitting on the eggs or is she laying her own eggs still?

She's a white wyandotte, about 2 yrs old. Her first time broody. She's sitting on new eggs, not laying new eggs - that I know of. She doesn't normally "sleep" in the hen box. When I put the 3 under her she had 3 already under her and she pushed them under her with the rest. Now she's on another set when she moved. Btw, right before she moved another hen was laying an egg in the box she moved to.

I'm not familiar with the broodiness of Wyandottes. If you want her to hatch chicks you'll probably have to separate her from any other eggs. If they're all laying in the same box. You can try marking the eggs you want hatched and removing any others several times a day. IMHO I would break her of being broody, she doesn't seem reliable. There's too much of a chance for failure. Another reason is being broody for so long can take a toll on her health. She's probably not eating/drinking normally which can take a lot out of her, especially in summer.
Hopefully someone else with more experience can give you more details.

Back
Top Bottom