Broody Hen Noob

Mommy of 1

Chirping
7 Years
6 Years
Jun 4, 2014
So I have a broody barred rock and I didn’t figure it out until I noticed she hadn’t moved for about 3 days (April 22) Yeah... it took me that long to figure it out 🤦🏻‍♀️

Anyways, after about a week I caught her off of it so I went to look and see just how many eggs she was sitting on. 18!! I left them all because I wasn’t quite sure how to handle it. But the box and the eggs were disgusting. The eggs were covered in poop, as was the box. So I figured they were a lost cause but she was so adamant about staying in there that I didn’t was to discourage her and decided I’d continue leaving them until it was well past hatch time and see if she destroyed them or if I’d have to clean it out.

2 days ago (may 24) I figured it was time to clean it out and I checked the box multiple times so I could catch her off of it. When I finally found her out of it I grabbed the dirtiest egg in there and threw it over the hill and it bounced. So naturally I had to go see if and/or how far it had gotten in development. It was ALIVE! Fully formed and looked like it could’ve hatched any day. So I left the rest as it traumatized me and I didn’t want to take another chance. So last night I caught her out again and went to check and there were two that had hatched but were dead. They were under the other eggs because I now assume there were too many but as disgusting as everything is I really didn’t expect anything to hatch. So this morning my kids and I go back out there and there’s another hatchling. We could only see its feet Sticking up and the rest of it was under the other eggs. So my 5 year old gently moved 2 of the eggs and got the wet chick and we brought it inside and stuck it under a heat lamp. It dried and fluffed up but it still isn’t standing and I don’t think it’s going to make it.

But my question is, what should I do about the other eggs? I found 2 more that look like she had cracked herself and the yolks were in the box. It smelled pretty bad too. I guess I should just let nature take its course but I hate thinking that chicks could hatch and then die due to an inhospitable environment.

I’d like to clean out the box but I can’t do that without moving the eggs and momma out and I’m afraid she won’t come back. Should I just keep watching and take hatchlings inside? Would that discourage her?

Attachments

• 8A4955FB-6DF5-47C3-A2B9-EA436BC6BB08.jpeg
    8A4955FB-6DF5-47C3-A2B9-EA436BC6BB08.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 8
Ughh... I would just leave her be.
Let her continue to sit on the eggs that look like they're fully develop.
I would candle each egg and remove the ones that do not look like they are fully developed.

Ughh... I would just leave her be.
Let her continue to sit on the eggs that look like they're fully develop.
I would candle each egg and remove the ones that do not look like they are fully developed.
Okay, thanks! I wasn’t sure if candling would be something that would upset her or not. I just went out and checked and it looks as though she’s recruited help. There’s another hen sitting in there with her. Is that normal? Should I shew it out?

Last edited:
Okay, thanks! I wasn’t sure if candling would be something that would upset her or not. I just went out and checked and it looks as though she’s recruited help. There’s another hen sitting in there with her. Is that normal? Should I she’s it out?
Definitely candle them. Keep a handful (5-8) that seem to be the same age. Throw the rest out. Clean the box and and/or dump a bunch of clean shavings in there before replacing the ones you've chosen to keep. When you replace the living ones, mark them so that no one can add more. If you find a new (unmarked) one at any point, take it out.

I allow trustworthy hens to babysit, but not low pecking order hens or idiot hens.

Good luck!

Definitely candle them. Keep a handful (5-8) that seem to be the same age. Throw the rest out. Clean the box and and/or dump a bunch of clean shavings in there before replacing the ones you've chosen to keep. When you replace the living ones, mark them so that no one can add more. If you find a new (unmarked) one at any point, take it out.

I allow trustworthy hens to babysit, but not low pecking order hens or idiot hens.

Good luck!
The babysitter is the same age, breed, and rank. Lol. I’ll keep an eye on them for the day. Thanks everyone for your help!

If she’s been on the nest since April 22 or so, she may abandon the nest soon anyway, whether any more hatch or not. If she does, I would dispose of all the eggs, clean the nest, and if you have another one sitting, give her a few fresh eggs. I would mark those eggs with a Sharpie and check the nest daily for additions.

If she’s been on the nest since April 22 or so, she may abandon the nest soon anyway, whether any more hatch or not. If she does, I would dispose of all the eggs, clean the nest, and if you have another one sitting, give her a few fresh eggs. I would mark those eggs with a Sharpie and check the nest daily for additions.
I’m going to have to leave a sharpie out there. A idea

Back
Top Bottom