Broody hen off nest

Smuch

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 30, 2014
Oregon
Help, please.

I have a first-time broody chantecler. She has stayed on the nest pretty much all the time for 16 days and is eating well. I moved her into an area in our shop and put her in a dog kennel with the doors closed but not locked so she could get out if she needed to. I have not found any poop but one time about day five I found her dust bathing and she couldn't find her nest. When I caught her and put her back in she stayed there and hasn't moved much since. Today (again day 16), I was away and when I came home she was off her nest and I found a very big poop that must have been hers. She seemed lost again so I put her back on her nest and she settled in again. She has been doing the broody behavior--puffing up and scolding me and pecking at me if I try to touch her eggs--but I'm wondering how long it would have been OK for her to be off the nest. It could have been anywhere between 1/2 hour and 5 hours since I wasn't home to see her. I had a broody Buff Orpington who I took off her nest because she kept losing her eggs but this is the first time I've had a hen stick on her nest and am concerned about doing everything right.

Also, I need to be away on day 21 and am wondering if she will be OK on her own with the hatching chicks. I was thinking about putting the kennel in the back of my car and taking her with me.

I know this is a long post but please if anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I love my chickens.

Thank you!!!

She will know if they eggs are going to hatch she will get meaner and stay on the nest more as the hatching day approaches.

Thank you, redsix; she's been on the nest a lot and in fact I've only seen her off twice but she seemed to get lost both times. She also acts like she thinks she's pretty mean and both times I put her back on she settled right in again. I think she really wants to be a mother hen. I'll really watch her closely the next few days.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom