Broody Hen on eggs in snow šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Following for update!
Still nothing -however-

Yesterday I checked on them 3 times (I canā€™t help myself Iā€™m so invested now). When I went the second time two eggs were out from under them/the little nest. I was worried so I went back maybe an hour to an hour and a half after. I braved the cackling hens and the eggs felt cold so I grabbed them. I have eggs in the incubator that I was putting in lockdown yesterday anyways so I threw the two eggs in with it. If the eggs felt cold are the chicks dead? The eggs are so developed!!!!
IMG_2039.jpeg

Still nothing -however-

Yesterday I checked on them 3 times (I canā€™t help myself Iā€™m so invested now). When I went the second time two eggs were out from under them/the little nest. I was worried so I went back maybe an hour to an hour and a half after. I braved the cackling hens and the eggs felt cold so I grabbed them. I have eggs in the incubator that I was putting in lockdown yesterday anyways so I threw the two eggs in with it. If the eggs felt cold are the chicks dead? The eggs are so developed!!!! View attachment 3791940
I actually made a post asking this same question earlier!! Fingers crossed for you

Well. Youā€™re never going to believe this. So far the gals have hatched two in the window well. More on the way. The two cold eggs I put in the incubatorā€¦. Went to check them today when I got home and the first one I candled had internally pipped. Fricken WILD. Iā€™m going to them hatch the rest and then we are going to relocate everyone into an enclosed coop within our enclosed chicken run as there are cats wandering!

These eggs are hatching after surviving in:
- -10c/14F to 10C/50F
- hail, rain, snow, sleet
- very minimal nesting material
- No ā€˜coverā€™ for the first initial weeks.
- very high winds (50km/31mph sustained winds 110km/68mph gusts)

Iā€™ve put some medicated chick starter and some water in a tiny dish on the opposite side of the window well. I donā€™t have extra feeders or waterers (to Peavey mart I go in the morning!). Totally wild that these guys are hatching! I will do one final update with total numbers!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2125.jpeg
    IMG_2125.jpeg
    657 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom