Broody Hen on eggs in snow šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

JTsfunnyfarm

Chirping
Apr 17, 2022
Hello,

I have a hen that was MIA. We found her proudly sitting on a clutch of 20+ eggs in my basement window well. She had been sitting for quite a few days when we found her but we have now experienced a massive temperature swing. 16c to -2c and she still insists that sheā€™s hatching the eggs. The area is pretty sheltered (itā€™s a window well to start with). What is the viability of her eggs? I really donā€™t know what to do about her. Sheā€™s NOT happy if I go anywhere near the window well. Just curious if anyoneā€™s hens have successfully hatched their eggs in these type of temps.
IMG_1695.jpeg

I've had a broody hatch in cold temps, tho she did have a straw nest and was completely protected from snow.

I've had a broody hatch in cold temps, tho she did have a straw nest and was completely protected from snow.
I would really love to give her straw but my hubby is threatening divorce over straw in the window well. She is totally protected from wind/snow. The house overhang goes right over where sheā€™s choosing to nest. I -have- been ā€˜sneakingā€™ her food and some ā€˜naturalā€™ nesting materials that hubby hopefully wonā€™t notice šŸ˜…

I would really love to give her straw but my hubby is threatening divorce over straw in the window well. She is totally protected from wind/snow. The house overhang goes right over where sheā€™s choosing to nest. I -have- been ā€˜sneakingā€™ her food and some ā€˜naturalā€™ nesting materials that hubby hopefully wonā€™t notice šŸ˜…
I've heard that chickens prefer dirt because it's easier to move their eggs around. Maybe put a cover over the nest or something.

At least she picked a sheltered place. Yeah, those nice temps we had for the last few weeks have come back to bite us. My own birds are all confused.

I'm figuring you're probably not that far away from me!

Covering that many eggs is potentially a problem, but then again, maybe not. @RebeccaBoyd has a hen who incubated eggs out on a hillside in December with a nasty cold snap happening shortly after she started setting. Eggs hatched in early January.

So. As an update- apparently she invited her sister in and they have been sharing the original eggs šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø we decided to candle today for the first timeā€¦.. 3 of the 20+ eggs are internally pipped. Once we checked those 3 we decided to leave them alone at this point. The eggs are tiny and the resulting soon to be window well babies are the result of my showgirl roo and the ā€˜momsā€™ are polish x showgirlā€¦. They have incubated through an entire week of -9c to 2c. We are currently hovering around 6c. Will do a final update once they hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_2025.jpeg
    IMG_2025.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
Hello,

I have a hen that was MIA. We found her proudly sitting on a clutch of 20+ eggs in my basement window well. She had been sitting for quite a few days when we found her but we have now experienced a massive temperature swing. 16c to -2c and she still insists that sheā€™s hatching the eggs. The area is pretty sheltered (itā€™s a window well to start with). What is the viability of her eggs? I really donā€™t know what to do about her. Sheā€™s NOT happy if I go anywhere near the window well. Just curious if anyoneā€™s hens have successfully hatched their eggs in these type of temps. View attachment 3776349
Granted our broody was in a covered pen that held nest boxes but she hatched a brood out this past December and then one in Feb/March, (luckily after the artic blast), so 20-40F. It wasn't warm in pen but mainly blocked wind. Still had the water buckets freezing lol

If you have a large enough board you could cover her like a lean-to ?

So. As an update- apparently she invited her sister in and they have been sharing the original eggs šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø we decided to candle today for the first timeā€¦.. 3 of the 20+ eggs are internally pipped. Once we checked those 3 we decided to leave them alone at this point. The eggs are tiny and the resulting soon to be window well babies are the result of my showgirl roo and the ā€˜momsā€™ are polish x showgirlā€¦. They have incubated through an entire week of -9c to 2c. We are currently hovering around 6c. Will do a final update once they hatch.
Following for update!

Back
Top Bottom