Jun 2, 2023
My silkie hen just decided she wanted to brood some eggs. My question is, will it be too cold once they hatch? Is it too cold for her to even successfully incubate? It’s and 35 degrees Fahrenheit here at night and 50 during the day.

On another note I’m not even sure she can brood in the coop she’s in. The other chickens have pushed her off the nest and scattered her eggs several times. Should I just move her inside into a Tub and hope it doesn’t snap her out of it? She’s already been sitting at least 3 days the the incubation process has likely already started.

Please help! I’m not sure what to do!

Just break her broodiness, extending it will drain her.
Put her in a dog kennel with no bedding and no roost for a few days.
How would it be extending it? I thought brooding was a natural cycle for chickens? And do I just let the eggs die if they’re already almost 5 days along? I’m not trying to sound rude at all, just trying to learn.

How would it be extending it? I thought brooding was a natural cycle for chickens? And do I just let the eggs die if they’re already almost 5 days along? I’m not trying to sound rude at all, just trying to learn.
Some breeds or individual hens will sit for months or until they die. Even after any chicks hatch, they just lock in. Since they eggs keep getting knocked out, they are likely not neither as far along as they might have been. You could seperate her and her clutch if you want but there's a chance she may not remain broody. It's worth a shot if you want

Some breeds or individual hens will sit for months or until they die. Even after any chicks hatch, they just lock in. Since they eggs keep getting knocked out, they are likely not neither as far along as they might have been. You could seperate her and her clutch if you want but there's a chance she may not remain broody. It's worth a shot if you want
I’d definitely like to see if she’ll continue to sit, some of the eggs she was sitting on were the last eggs layed by my favorite silkie who passed away recently. If she doesn’t break I’ll definitely use the method you recommended. Thank you so much for your opinions. Will be moving her inside tonight and can update in the morning if you’re interested!

I'll copy a link to a thread where a member let a broody hatch in the dead of winter. She was quite successful but at the end of the thread she said she probably would not do it again.

Broody in Michigan Winter? | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

On another note I’m not even sure she can brood in the coop she’s in. The other chickens have pushed her off the nest and scattered her eggs several times. Should I just move her inside into a Tub and hope it doesn’t snap her out of it? She’s already been sitting at least 3 days the the incubation process has likely already started.

Since the eggs are special to you and with your experience of the others messing with her, I'd bring her inside to the tub and see how it goes. Maybe candle the eggs in about a week and see if any are developing. The eggs during incubation and the chicks after hatch are at more risk in colder weather but the thread by @aart shows it can be done.

Before incubation starts a hen stores excess fat to mostly live off of during incubation. That way they can spend most of the time on the nest instead of having to go look for food and water. After they burn up that excess fat most hens will break from being broody. It is possible you can get one that will not break but that is really rare. As they use up that excess fat they will lose weight. That is not harmful to them since that is exactly why that fat was put there as long as they break when it is gone.

I'll copy a link to a thread where a member let a broody hatch in the dead of winter. She was quite successful but at the end of the thread she said she probably would not do it again.

Broody in Michigan Winter? | BackYard Chickens - Learn How to Raise Chickens

Since the eggs are special to you and with your experience of the others messing with her, I'd bring her inside to the tub and see how it goes. Maybe candle the eggs in about a week and see if any are developing. The eggs during incubation and the chicks after hatch are at more risk in colder weather but the thread by @aart shows it can be done.

Before incubation starts a hen stores excess fat to mostly live off of during incubation. That way they can spend most of the time on the nest instead of having to go look for food and water. After they burn up that excess fat most hens will break from being broody. It is possible you can get one that will not break but that is really rare. As they use up that excess fat they will lose weight. That is not harmful to them since that is exactly why that fat was put there as long as they break when it is gone.
Thank you, I really appreciate the information. I did move her inside last night and she was totally fine. She has a large food and water dish that she can absolutely reach without getting up. It was quite comical to watch her peck through the crumbles without leaving her nest lol. Fingers crossed it goes well!
I do have a very large indoor brooder where she can raise the chicks if she proves to be a good mom. So I’m not really worried about the temps anymore since she won’t be having them outside. My house is usually pretty warm😊

Make sure she has a spot to dust bathe, my broodies love a vigorous dust bath while they are taking their exercise time.

In case you may want to move her back outside later, if you limit her to just a couple eggs she should be able to raise them even in colder weather. It’s easier for a hen to cover chicks for longer if there aren’t as many of them.

Back
Top Bottom