Broody hen in winter!!?

Jada22

Songster
Feb 24, 2022
My polish hen has been missing a few days- she has a habit of escaping her enclosure but usually chills with the cats, when going to get firewood today we found her!
She is under that tarp (where we keep the firewood) sitting on eggs and the eggs look to be around the 5 day mark.
She already hatched a clutch in spring!
Not sure what to do clearly she’s been doing well the last few days but it is cold here plus the cats can easily get in to this area.
I have the option to lock the gate that’s opened if I should keep her here? What can I do to make her warmer?
Biggest concerns are her/chicks not being warm enough and potential threat of cats with chicks (they are fine with the adult chickens but would not trust them with chicks)

Attachments

• IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 31
Hens can sit on eggs in cold weather. The hens can also keep the chicks warm. Just need to make sure they always have water that is not frozen.
My broodies haven't had any problems keeping the cats away, but some cats might be more determined than mine.

Hens can sit on eggs in cold weather. The hens can also keep the chicks warm. Just need to make sure they always have water that is not frozen.
My broodies haven't had any problems keeping the cats away, but some cats might be more determined than mine.
Thanks for that. Puts me at ease a little.
Seems to be 10 developing eggs under her!

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpeg
    IMG_2505.jpeg
    810.2 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom