Broody Hen on non fertile eggs (((Again))) now no feathers and raw!

khable

Songster
12 Years
Mar 16, 2007
LaGrangeville, NY
Hey all,

My one year old BO Hen keeps going broody! I keep kicking her off the nest several times a day. I had her broken of it once. But she went right back to it within a few days!

Yesterday I found her back sitting and found that one of the eggs was broken! She was covered in yolk and when I was examining to see just how much egg was on her I noticed that she was featherless on her tummy!

She ran out in the run and I noticed the other girls pecking at her feathers where the egg was.

I brought her inside and gave her a bath and kept her in a cat carrier last night. (It was a bit cold to have a wet chicken go back in the run)

Is the feather loss normal for a broody?? I am assuming the redness is from sitting in egg.

Any opinions? what shall I do with this gal?

Do I need to put any ointment on the redness? or will that make it worse? (cause then the sand and bedding will stick to it.)

ummm.......
hu.gif

I think I read on here somewhere that broodies will pluck out the feathers on their lower bodies.

But don't quote me on it.

I wouldn't put anything on it unless it was bleeding raw.

I raise Seramas who are VERY broody. They do like to be bare chested while on eggs. Even though it is just instinct, I am always sympathetic to motherhood. If I don't want a girl brooding, I give her a chick - she stays with it a few weeks and she adores the baby and he adores her. It is the kindest way to get her off the nest, but I know there are other ways, like moving her nest and stuff.

If someone around you has newborn chicks, you can make her happy with one of them.

Back
Top Bottom