Broody Hen or Not broody hen

Lisa Doodeman

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2017
So about 3 weeks ago. I picked up a RIR Hen from a friend.
The last 2 days all she has done is sit like a flat pancake on the ground and now refuses to come out of the roost.
When I go near her to check for eggs. She wiggles, but stay there. There is no eggs underneath her atm.

In the pecking order, she is the last.
So is she broody or Sick.

Suggestions please.

Is she on a roost or in a nestbox? Is she possibly squatting for you as you approach, or is she puffed up and grumbly, and refuses to move?

She is in the nesting box. Sitting . Shes a very quiet chook. She just looks flat

I dont own roosters. Just 3 hens.

Last edited:
They still can go broody without a rooster. It's a hormonal phase. When removed does she make a continuous clucking? Than return to the box? She's probably broody if she does. You can break her by putting her in a wire bottomed crate slightly elevated off the ground, otherwise they can stay broody for months.

Ill remove her and see what Pebbles does.......brb

Pebbles is out of the box, back behind the date palm, away from the other chooks. No eggs

Last edited:
Is she clucking, though I've had silent broodies. Sick hens will look sick and won't move much and will fake eating. Broodies will usually be slightly puffed up continuously.

Back
Top Bottom