Broody hen or sick?

ElaynasChick

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Washington
Hello! i have a black copper maran that has been in the nesting box for most of the day for three days and sleeps in them, when i open the box she doesn't care if i touch her and won't get mad at me either, she hasn't laid in three days and i am starting to worry, i thought she could be broody but she doesn't act like it, she only comes out in the morning to get food and water then eventually goes into the nesting box for the rest of the day, what could be wrong with her? i am worried maybe she is egg bound or something.

Sometimes broody hens are quiet. I'd remove her and pen her somewhere else for 3-5 days to see if she breaks.

I've got an ameraucana that's acting the same way. She is one of my sweetest girls, always "helping" me when I do my chicken chores. I think it might just be that they are laid back enough to not feel threatened by us human caretakers. Is your girl friendly when not broody?

I've got an ameraucana that's acting the same way. She is one of my sweetest girls, always "helping" me when I do my chicken chores. I think it might just be that they are laid back enough to not feel threatened by us human caretakers. Is your girl friendly when not broody?
well she is actually the most unfriendly one not in a mean way but just shy, she would never peck or hurt you she is just the most shy one.

Sometimes broody hens are quiet. I'd remove her and pen her somewhere else for 3-5 days to see if she breaks.
So i have an issue, i am leaving tomorrow and my friend is taking care of the chickens so i won't be able to monitor her like i usually can, should i just let her be broody for the two weeks i'm gone? i tried soaking her belly with cold water and so far she has not gone back in the nesting box yet, but she might soon, i don't know

So i have an issue, i am leaving tomorrow and my friend is taking care of the chickens so i won't be able to monitor her like i usually can, should i just let her be broody for the two weeks i'm gone? i tried soaking her belly with cold water and so far she has not gone back in the nesting box yet, but she might soon, i don't know
She should be fine let setting. You can break her when you return. Getting them wet doesn't break them. Penning them away from their chosen nest site generally does it for most.

Your friend should remove any eggs under her daily.

Back
Top Bottom