Broody hen problem

Zay

Songster
Jun 29, 2018
New Mexico
I have a broody hen that keeps trying hatch some baby’s, but there are two other hens that keep trying to eat the eggs from under her. Is there any way I can get the other two hens out so that my girl can hatch us some chicks? Also how many days does it take before you can tell wether or not a chick is growing inside the egg?

I have a broody hen that keeps trying hatch some baby’s, but there are two other hens that keep trying to eat the eggs from under her. Is there any way I can get the other two hens out so that my girl can hatch us some chicks? Also how many days does it take before you can tell wether or not a chick is growing inside the egg?
Find a way to separate the hens from the broody; building a cage around the broody, put the hens in another coop, fencing off part of the coop, relocating the broody hen to a new, safe location. Chicken eggs can be candled from day 6 on; if experienced with candling, as early as the 4th day.

Is there any way I can get the other two hens out so that my girl can hatch us some chicks?

I typically let my hens hatch with the flock but you have a clear case where that is not a good idea. I don't know what your facilities look like of how many total hens you have. I don't know the best answer for you but will give you some options.

Isolate the broody hen. Build a a pen where you can lock her up and keep those two away. It doesn't need to be that big, just room for a nest, food, water, and a bit of room for her to go poop. That might be fencing a section of the coop around her nest or can be a totally separate pen. Just make sure it is predator proof and does not become an oven in the sun.

Eat those two egg-eating hens.

Lock up the two hens so they cannot get to the eggs.

Also how many days does it take before you can tell wether or not a chick is growing inside the egg?

This depends on how easy it is to see inside the egg (dark brown eggs or blue or green eggs can be harder than white shells), how good your candler is, how dark it is when you candle, and your experience. With white eggs and good equipment you might see blood vessels by Day 3. With some of my dark green eggs it takes a lot longer. Sometimes I'm not sure by Day 7, but my equipment isn't terrific.

Back
Top Bottom