Broody Hen question

Eag133

Chirping
Jul 30, 2019
I received a khaki Campbell hen late last year. She started laying in early March... She managed to hide some eggs and is now setting them. I candles one this evening and I'm going to guess around 8 days.

My question is do I need to separate her and the ducklings? They are in a coop with another female and 2 males.

Thank you for any help!

Drakes can an do kill ducklings I like to give mamas and duckling their own space till the ducklings are a couple weeks old. I like to err on the side of caution.
Miss Lydia I will keep that in mind. It was not my intent to let her set, but when I candled the egg I couldn't take them away. I just want them all to be ok... And let's hope they are hens in those eggs..

I have two Khaki Campbell hens (Laverne and Shirley) and a drake (Moose) . Shirley has been sitting on her nest of about 16 eggs but this morning Laverne was on the nest, she has laid about 4 eggs this past week (Shirley's eggs are about 2 weeks old) in a separate nest but was not sitting. Is this normal? Do I need to worry about the safety of the babies since both hens are broody? I was planning on moving Laverne and Moose to the “honeymoon suite” while Shirley tends to the ducklings for a bit...should I wait and see and just move Moose?

Your saying there are 2 nests and Shirley has been sitting on that nest of 16 eggs for 2 weeks but today Lavern was on Shirley's nest? Did Shirley come back and start sitting again? Broodiness is contagious seems if one starts others catch it, happens that way here anyway. With my Muscovy since they are my only breed that goes broody, they like their privacy and don't usually tolerate another female sitting close by, So if Lavern is serious about sitting ON her own eggs you might want to give her her own space. And poor Moose will just have to be on his own once hatching begins. But keep him where he can still see what's going on.

Shirley was eating this morning then went out for a dip in the pool while Laverne sat on her nest🤷‍♀️ I tossed out Laverne’s eggs she isn’t sitting hardly at all is spending all her time outside with Moose while Shirley hardly ever comes off the nest.

Back
Top Bottom