Broody Hen Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HennyPennies2007, Mar 29, 2009.

1. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey all... I have a SDOEGB that has just hatched out 4 chicks I planted under her. My question is can I grab the chicks and throw them in a brooder and plant more eggs? Or is that cruel and unusual punishment? I have 7 RIR eggs I would like to hatch, but not if doing so would be to the hens' detriment. The fourth egg from this hatch has pipped, but not zipped yet... it is yelling like a banshee in the egg.... But I was thinking to take them all out if that one hatches OK and plant the eggs right away..... can one fool a hen?

2. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    Hullooooo out there???

3. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    I personally don't have the heart to do it. But then again, I actually bought chicks to give to my hen after her clutch failed to hatch. Maybe it's because I have 4 kids and I anthropomorphize my motherhood onto the hens, but I just can't take away their hatch, if they have a mothering disposition.

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    You could certainly try, and it may or may not be successful. I once had a broody hen whose eggs never hatched after 21+ days, I replaced those eggs and she sat another 21 days until that second clutch hatched. She seems none the worse for wear, but other folks have concerns about the effects of brooding on their hens. It's a risk you'll have to decide if you want to take.

I don't know if this hen will be as agreeable to setting on more eggs now that she's seen her chicks hatch out. I don't know if that will turn off her broody buttons now. Again, you can decide to try it.

Then you'll have to take on the responsibility of tending those chicks in a brooder. The hen may or may not accept them back once you've taken them out.

It's up to you what you want to try, let us know what you decide & how it works out.

5. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i think its unfair, and after hatching chicks, she ight not want to set eggs, its just not the way itt happens in nature

6. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah I was wondering about how it could affect her system... someone told me I could broody her all summer (?) I'd like to hatch those RIRs but she is my favorite hen and I would not want to jeopardize her health or mental well being.... She is so tiny... but mighty!

7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    From what I've read, when the chicks start pipping underneath, the hens hormones start to change. If the chicks have hatched under her, she will probably only sit another 24-36 hours. Unless you think these other eggs will hatch that quickly, you are probably dooming them.

8. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    im assuming u dont have an incubator?

9. HennyPennies2007

Jan 26, 2008
    Quote:LOL... only in my dreams... I wanted to try to get a Hova 1588 this spring, but everything was too pricey for my budget at this time. The hen was a fluke...and since she was a banty... and quit laying when she went broody... I only put 7 standards under her... I lost 3 due to a freak accident and the remaining 4 hatched... I decided to let her raise the chicks, and I am trying to restore her strength with boiled eggs and electrolytes.... Her comb is very pale.... but dang is she a good momma...

10. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:LOL... only in my dreams... I wanted to try to get a Hova 1588 this spring, but everything was too pricey for my budget at this time. The hen was a fluke...and since she was a banty... and quit laying when she went broody... I only put 7 standards under her... I lost 3 due to a freak accident and the remaining 4 hatched... I decided to let her raise the chicks, and I am trying to restore her strength with boiled eggs and electrolytes.... Her comb is very pale.... but dang is she a good momma...

glad to hear that she is raising the chicks well

dont fret too much about her comb, it goes pale when the stop laying eggs

srry to say but even if you wanted to at this point i think it would be too late to give her the eggs in place for the babies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by