Broody hen question

cldineley

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
eastern,nc
One of my hens just hatched 2 eggs and if I take them away how long will it take her to get over it. I was going to let them be with her but we only have one coop and no other place to put her. Plus for some reason my roo(who is the dad) picked one up by the head. The baby seems to be fine. He would let the neighbors hens babies in the coop without pecking them, why would he do it to his own?

My neighbor has a bunch of chickens that free range and are constantly in my yard. Plus 5 or 6 of their hens hatched out chicks about 2 months ago. I haven't said anything to them yet and I don't think they actually know how many chickens they have. I keep my penned up except when I clean it out and they are only out for an hour.

I am very surprised that Mamahen did not promptly put Mr Roo in his place, somewhat vehemently. Is it possible that the chick wasn't really hurt, just disciplined a little? Watch them closely and try to see what is actually happening.

The chicks are only a day old. I was putting food and water in the coop for the babies when this happened. The hen was busy trying to feed them and was distracted by me but I punched the roo in the head for doing it. The chick kept twitching for several minutes afterwards but seems fine now. She hasn't taken the chicks outside yet or around the other 2 hens I have but she is the dominate hen. This is my first experience with this stuff and I really don't want the other chickens to kill the babies.

The hen should have alerted to the yells of Jr.
Can you portion off a safe corner of the coop so she can hide there with them?
My hens with hatchlings usually wait 3 days before mingling with the others in the coop. Then they wait another day or two before going outside and stay close to the entrance for another few days.
I'd pen her off for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom