Broody Hen Questions-Please help if you can...

cluckingcanadian

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
So I have a Isa Brown hen that has gone broody, I think. This has all happen in the past 2 days.

This is what I have observed:
1) Snapping at my hand when I get to close to her in the nest
2) Not leaving the nest, even at night
3) Big explosive bowel movements once she comes off to eat...and they smell different.
4) Pushing the eggs underneath her

This morning I went to check on her and she is in a different nest (I plan on moving her tonight). I accidentally dropped one of the eggs she was sitting on and it was developing (maybe two days in) so I think that is another good sign that she is setting.

My question is this: I have 11 eggs in my incubator that will be day 18 tonight. Can I put them under her to hatch?? Or should I leave my eggs and let her hatch her own clutch?? If I move her can I have her sit on golf balls until I have the eggs I want her to hatch?? Can she stay in the same area as the flock but in a dog kennel for example?? I have a larger crate she could go in that would allow her to brood but enough room for her to get off, deficate and eat.

This is my first broody and I am kind of at a loss.

TIA,
Danica

Last edited:
I would leave the eggs that are in the incubator right where they are, I dont see any reason to move them now. She will stay broody for a while, when are you expecting new eggs? Good luck

Quote:
I have 16 other hens that are laying so I have no shortage of eggs. Will she sit on golf balls until I choose the eggs I want her to set?? I have a laying silkie but it will take me 5 days to get 3 or 4 eggs from her to give to the broody hen. How many eggs can I give her to set?

Back
Top Bottom