1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody hen questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlaineWillard, Sep 5, 2010.

1. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i have my first broody hen she was in a coop with 15 more hens and a rooster. I moved her today to a new cage i built for my broody hens. But she is not sitting on the nest now. So i put her food and water in the nesting box and closed her off so she didnt have any choice but to sit on the eggs. Do you think she will start sitting on them again or have i broke my broody hen? This is my first one and i just wanted to know if i have done everything right so far. I really would like a few more chicks before it starts getting cold. She was sitting on 5 eggs and 4 golf balls i put everything she was sitting on in the nesting box with her. Thanks for all the help i need it lol.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never had much luck moving broodies, though at least once it worked fine. Might just stay with your approach for a day or two and see if she gives up and starts setting again.

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I always move my broody hens. I move them to private little broody coops where they can sit on eggs and raise their babies in peace. There's a trick to it. You move the hen BEFORE you give her the fertile eggs. It will generally take her a few days to decide that she likes her new nest. Some are more hardheaded than others. These may need to be locked in the new coop for a couple of days.

As for your question of whether you have broken your broody hen: I doubt it. I wish it were that easy! I bet if she could get back to her chosen nest, she would cheerfully settle in and be just as broody as she was before she was moved.

So, what to do now? If the eggs you want to hatch are your own eggs, from your own birds, no problem. Just wait her out. Keep her locked in there for a few days and when she starts sitting on her new nest, give her some fresh ones. Be sure to let her out every day to stretch her legs and do her business in the meantime!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  4. BlaineWillard

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    well she is back to sitting again. I put 15 eggs under her tonight and she is doing good now. So i guess now i just got to wait and see how she does. This is her first time being broody. And my first broody so this should be interesting lol.

5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Did you take out the old eggs that she abandoned and give her new? I think from the sound of it you did, but it would be advisable to candle the eggs if they were the old ones to check that they are still alive if you didn't.

Good luck with the hatch....being the first time for both of you it will always be more difficult, but everybody has to have a first time!

Sandie

6. BlaineWillard

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    yeah i took out the old eggs and candled them but there wasnt anything happening in those eggs they were about 2 weeks old and have been in the coop the whole time. I left them out there because i thought i had another hen that was broody earlier but she was just scared because she was new to the coop and she didnt want to leave the nesting box but now she is fine she is coming out with the other chickens and has started laying again to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by