Broody hen questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mommyoftwo, Aug 12, 2013.

1. mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    How often do hens go broody? I have 5 hens that are 20 weeks old and just got a lot rooster today. They are not together yet. But I would love so cute little chicks. And does it matter if I place her eggs under her or any eggs. A a neighborhor has some rir that I'm trying to get her to give to me when the time is right. And then what should I do when she does? Removed from here nest or leave here their?

2. Elzy

Elzy Out Of The Brooder

Im not completely sure about this sorry, but I know a few ways to stop broodiness if ever needed.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    How often they go broody depends on the hen. Some breeds go broody more often than others. (I've not experienced it, but I understand Silkies are pretty much always broody.) When a hen is broody she won't care what or who's eggs you put under her, as long as she has eggs to sit on and try to hatch. You will know when your hen is broody. She'll be in the nest box all day. She'll growl at you and try to peck you when you try to pick eggs from under her. She'll flatten out over the nest. And she'll give you the stink-eye. Believe me - there is no mistaking that look! Your hens are quite young. I wouldn't look for a broody until next year out of that bunch. Some people leave them in with rest of the flock for easier integration for mom and babies. Others will separate them to keep other hens from laying eggs in the nest that the broody is on. There are many different threads on the many different ways of doing that. It's personal choice - I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer. You don't have to get the broody off her nest to eat, drink and poop. They will do that on their own. They don't eat or drink much, but then they're not burning a lot of calories when they're setting, either. Many people think they need to chase broodies off the nest because they never see them leave on their own, but broodies like to be secretive, so you may not always catch her out taking care of business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by