1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen refusing to eat or drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alison98, Jan 1, 2016.

1. alison98

alison98 New Egg

May 12, 2015
    wasn't sure to post this here or in the hatching thread sorry! also my first post, been creeping the last year but too afraid to join in.
    I know broodys sometimes need to be removed from the nest to eat/drink but my young silkie hen went broody about 3 days ago, and has eaten once I removed her and showed her nice food, but will not drink and her crop is hard and full now. she has not pooped since going broody and I think its because she needs water to digest it? I tried dipping her beak in and she has had a little from me spooning in on the end of her bean but I'm afraid its not enough. she just has no interest in anything but sitting on her eggs.
    don't really wanna,break the broodiness and have to raise the eggs myself and even if I did I'm sure I'll face the same problem with her in the spring when she broods again.

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    You may find this is all perfectly normal. If she eats and drinks like normal then she is going to have to poop like normal which will lead to a messy nest or too much time off the eggs. Their whole metabolism seems to slow down while they are broody so they can cut down on food and water intake.

My broody would get off the nest about every 2-3 days when I opened the coop but I don't doubt on the other days she also went and ate and drank but as I wasn't watching her 24 hrs a day I just didn't see it.

Check her crop at night and then again in the morning as that's the only time you can really know if it's emptying itself. If it's empty in the morning and then larger again at night you also know she is sneaking food and water when you aren't looking.

3. alison98

alison98 New Egg

May 12, 2015

I have her in a spare room in the house so I'm monitering her real close and I know she isn't having anything without me removing her, and not even water then :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by