broody hen setups?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I am wanting to know about your setups if or when you take your broody hen out of the coop to seperate her from the rest of the flock. I am thinking about making a small box type thing so that she can stay in there as she sits. I would want roosts in there so that when the chicks are older and still need to be seperated can stay there as well. Has anyone come up with something like this before? Ideas and thought on how big and how to go about doing this please.

Quote:
If you plan to keep the chicks separate til they are the same size as the older flock, then you will need the same amount of space as for adults, usually quoted here as 4 sq ft per chicken, and they would also need a run. Ideally this setup would be in view of the older ones. I have an 11'x17' coop with a pen inside about 5'x6' and have had broodies hatch chicks in there, but have never kept the chicks in there more than a few days, they go out with the rest of the flock then. They would return to the same nest at night to sleep under mama for a few weeks.

normally i have two to three hens go broody so i transfer them to their own nest separated from the flock. once the chicks are out and about they normally feed with each over and have it so only the chicks can eat e.g milk crated over feeder

i seperate them in their own pen.

once the chicks are older i normally sepearte each week and see what chicks need another week.

most people have a setup outside the coop with a wired run and tin house which is about 50cm tall and 2m long. the frame is weilded together and works well

The chicks do good roaming out with the other hens? I would like to try that too. These will be a mix of standards and bantams. It will be a temprary fixture just till they and the flock can get be placed together. I am hoping it won't be long.

A good mama protects her chicks from the others, pecks and/or runs them off, for a few weeks, anyway. One time I thought I saw a spot of blood on one chick. By the time I got back with the BluKote I couldn't tell which one. Of course mama pecks them a little, too. A good roo will also help protect the chicks -- if he is a good one.

Not all mamas protect well, and some hens are much pushier than others about chicks. There are no guarantees, of course. Heck, I caught one broody killing her chick as it hatched (lost the whole hatch.) I've had 5 other sets of chicks raised by a broody and not lost one to another hen yet. Knock on wood. First time I did it, I didn't know it was said to be a bad idea, before I found BYC. Integration at adult size isn't guaranteed to go well, either, so this is just my preference, at least for now. Apparently, in nature, mamas hatch them in hiding and bring them to the flock at a few days old. Or at least I've heard and read lots of reports of this happening.

I have seven 6-week olds running around with my flock now. Their mama abandoned them a couple of weeks ago. They hang around together and have learned not to compete with hens for treats, which I spread around so everyone gets some. I would be very surprised if I lost one to another chicken at this point.

Good luck whichever way you go.

i rekon its best to separate because the main hen will or may attack. i once lost a chick to this and i learnt not to do it again. when u let them out if you do let the separated ones out with them before dark so they get used to being with them and if they do get chased they can keep runing.

I got me 5broody dark brahmas from a friend.who said "all five of her brahmas wanted to brood something fierce, feels unnatural to not allow them to be mamas" she hates broody hens so I traded her some of my aracaunas. I'm very excited to try these broody old ladies out!

Back
Top Bottom