broody hen stole a duck nest???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spish, Jun 29, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im plagued at the moment by broody hens, i have one or two in every house so egg production has taken a big fall.
    i decided to take away eggs from any new broodys in the hope of breaking them, it worked so far...until now. i thought id broke a sussex hen who got broody over a single egg. every day i took the egg away (it was always anothers hens egg anyway) yet she'd still sit tight.so i did the wire cage trick..after three days it seemed to have work, so i let her back out in the field yesterday.

well last night i notice my broody muscovy duck kicking up a storm in the field wanting to get back in her house but something was keeping her out, i thought a snake or cat or something, but no...it was the sussex hen, she'd kicked the duck off her eggs and nestled down to brood!!! i couldnt help but laugh! she didnt like me taking her off to let the duck back on but it had to be done...

so today i go out to check...and she's back in there...but with the duck!!! they are squished up together on the one nest clucking and squeaking in time to each other. i guess i have no say in the matter anymore!

on the plus side i have another broody on 10 eggs due to hatch tomorrow...should i take a few of the chicks and slide them under the broody.....?? she's determined but i want her back laying asap! if i skip out the 3 week broody time she should be back laying in about 8 weeks as the babies grow up..right? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] I can't imagine a muscovy letting a hen keep her off her nest! She must be one persistent chicken. As for the questions, I have never dealt with broody hens and chicks but giving her a few of the other hen's hatch would probably work and she might be done with the chicks faster than 8 weeks.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'd leave her be. Gonna serve her right when "her" babies hatch, head straight for the water and give her a heart attack.

4. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    This post just makes me smile..lol I would try giving her a chick or two to raise.. If not she might try to swim after her current babies [​IMG]

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    omg lol! She really is a determined little thing, I think she's a lost cause until she gets babies. Maybe she and the duck will divide the spoils, so to speak.

By the way, please PLEASE post a picture of the two trying to out-brood each other!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by