Broody hen taking to new chicks

Vettipie

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 3, 2012
Winter Park, FL
Last month I had a broody hen (Runty) who took fabulously to 5 little day old chicks. Now I have another ( Little Twin) which I put in a smaller pen, gave her 2 new chicks and she pecked at them. I took the chicks away and let her out into the yard. She went back into the main coop and got back on her nest. I then opened the back of the coop and put the chicks under her. So far she hasn't done anything. What is the chance she will accept them?

Hello and welcome to BYC!
How long has she been sitting? They usually accept chicks if they've been sitting for awhile and it helps to slip the chicks under them at night when they're sleeping.

she has been sitting for 3 weeks. We didn't transfer her bedding this time and I think maybe that was a mistake. She is on them now, but I don't know if I should leave them with her. They haven't eaten or had anything to drink for almost an hour now. And as they are in the big hen house, I don't know if the other hens will peck them.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Chicks can go for 2-3 days without food or water. you may try going in tonight after dark and removing the remaining eggs from underneath her.

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Back
Top Bottom