Broody hen that CANT walk

slightlyscrambled

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
Nebraska
I have a broody hen that just hatched out 3 sweet little fluffy ping pong sized chicks. BUT it seems as though she has some kind of leg issue. they stick straight out to the sides and I have picked her up to see if she can walk, she does ok but right leg doesnt seem to work well. I dont know how often she was getting out of nest box to eat, could this be a vitamin def. problem or just plain starvation situation?
hit.gif

what does her breast bone feel like? does it have meat on it or not? if it doesn't id say it's a starvation issue. i am not much help as i don't know what to do. if you feel the bone too much, id give her some plain yogurt mixed with her regular feed and some gatorade. but other than that.. im not sure. good luck

Sue

I fed her some yogurt and tried the gatorade. She didnt like the gatorade. but loved the yogurt. I worry that she wont be able to teach the chicks how to eat. Will try to get some vits. for her water tom.
Thanks

it's important that the broody hen is taken away from the nest box to eat, drink, "go" and exercise the legs...and/or put food and vitamin water away from the nest so she has to get up and walk to it.
some hens will sit too long and must be picked up.

check for mites.

describe the droppings..color and consistency
has she been wormed?

do you have poultry or chick vitamins?

try and get some Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, Enfamil brand if possible, no iron..
give 3 drops on beak once a day for 4 days..
then 2 drops for 3 days..
then taper off for another for another week.

make up this mix..
this is for 3 feeds for 1 day..give for 5 days along with regular feed and water..

1 cooked chopped egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon honey or unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
3-4 tablespoons water soaked or cooked oatmeal.
add enough layer feed to make mix puffy, not soupy.

help the hen by getting her up on her feet and helping her to stand.
you might try a little "therapy"..by gently moving the legs a few times a day.
hope she gets ok.

have checked for mites/lice no problem there, droppings seem normal, I havent wormed her. I have wondered if she wasnt getting off of nest, will work with her tom. do you think I should take chicks away?

no...but do try and make up the mix..it's for treating rickets.
also the vitamins..the B vits in it will help with leg problems.
just try and work with her and get her up..

describe her droppings..color and consistency.

wouldn't hurt to check her crop..for any lump or grainy feeling, or sour odor.
sometimes it slows down when they sit and don't eat.

droppings are rather large, dark but not black, and solid with a little white. I was wondering about rickets, and a vit. def.
thanks for your help

>>>your bird has not been eating properly for a prolonged period of time .please read this:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206913.htm

>>>your bird has been inactive (which cause problems in and of itself > see this article:
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/202400.htm

malabsorption and malnutrition (common with brooding birds who may already have been borderline deficient ) will indicate a good allround general supplement like AviaCharge 2000 (one of the best supplements IMHO > available online from McMurry)

I would not feed her TOO much "extra" protein > instead offer her freechoice live culture yogurt, the general supplement (add to feed and then add JUST enough COOKED oatmeal to make it all "clump" together (she gets more feed with every bite this way too ) > no more than a half COOKED eggYOLK through her layer feed.
Personally I would be hesitant to use the honey in an already weakened bird and would add electrolytes to her water for three or four days.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom