broody hen that I don't want broody

sacchicken931

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sacramento
Realized yesterday that one of my aracaunas is broody. I've put her in a separate pen to keep her from going back to the nest that she wants to sit in all day. I want her lay not brood. She was sitting on other chickens eggs and not laying her own. I think what happened is I didn't know she was secretly laying a nest on my property (I let them out during the day) and 19 eggs collected. After a night on her own in the separate pen I let her out to see what happened and she went right back to her nest. So do I just need to keep her in the separate pen for a few days and nights?

Yes....and don't provide any kind of nesting material. It works even better if she cannot see the other chickens...this kind of shuts down that broody feeling and makes her desparate to rejoin the flock.

it helps to keep her on a wire floor, no nesting at all. I use a 2' by 2' square cage hanging from the coop ceiling, with only a roost, water, and feed, after seven days or the first egg I will return the hen to the flock and watch. A broody jail, and it will break them.

I just throw broody hens out of the nest everytime I go outside(which is plenty) and they snapp out of it after a few days. Especially when they realize how hungry and thirsty they are!

Back
Top Bottom