Broody Hen Thread!

Well, looks like my Wellie got up the morning of Day 22 to tend to her chicks and killed the last 3 eggs. 2 had big pips with beaks sticking out. I got there at 9 and one beak was still pink so I put them in the bator but it slowly turned blue over the day. The third had an internal pip but no pulsing so I doubt it will hatch. No way to tell if it had chilled like the other 2 or just didn't make it out. Her chicks started coming out on day 20, is it normal to have late chicks pipping on Day 22??

She did hatch 4 healthy chicks out of 7 shipped eggs though!

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a few bantams to hatch and raise some of my duck eggs. Are there any particular breeds of bantams you would recommend as bloodys?
Are bantam Cochins any good?

Ok one(as well as others) thing that can cause that is hot and cold spots in the incubator----I do not know what kind of incubator you got but Is That Possible??

They were all under my large fowl Welsummer the whole time since day one. I noticed sometimes her eggs were visible a bit in the front near her shoulders, maybe she didn't get it quite right. She rejected 2 eggs that were in lockdown in the incubator (one hatched). I think the pipped eggs I put in there was already dead from the chill but in case it would revive I stuck it in there. She may have been up since sunrise at 600, so they had four hours of drying and chilling already.

They were all under my large fowl Welsummer the whole time since day one. I noticed sometimes her eggs were visible a bit in the front near her shoulders, maybe she didn't get it quite right. She rejected 2 eggs that were in lockdown in the incubator (one hatched). I think the pipped eggs I put in there was already dead from the chill but in case it would revive I stuck it in there. She may have been up since sunrise at 600, so they had four hours of drying and chilling already.

Oh, OK---I should have went back a few pages and read but I did not have time. Again I have not read----how many eggs were under her? Eggs not under her will have a delay---if they stay there to long----death if Longer.

Back
Top Bottom