Broody Hen Thread!

I have sorted the eggs out so they won't be staggered. I'd noticed she had managed to steal my other hens eggs as she was only sat on one yesterday and today she had 5...so I will be removing all unmarked eggs from now on. Should I be worried if she hasn't moved all day? I'm guessing she will move eventually for food and water?
Most of the time she is not going to steal eggs----other hens get in her nest with her and lay a egg. That's why you mark the original. If it was I----I would remove all eggs and collect her about a dozen and place them all under her at one time. Most full size hens can cover 10 to 15 eggs in a bowl shaped bottom nest. NO---do not worry about eating----as long as her nest is not in the sun---she will be Fine----offering food at the nest will just mess things up in """MY""" opinion. Good Luck

Last edited:
Most of the time she is not going to steal eggs----other hens get in her nest with her and lay a egg. That's why you mark the original. If it was I----I would remove all eggs and collect her about a dozen and place them all under her at one time.  Most full size hens can cover 10 to 15 eggs in a bowl shaped bottom nest. NO---do not worry about eating----as long as her nest is not in the sun---she will be Fine----offering food at the nest will just mess things up in """MY""" opinion. Good Luck

Right ok I won't worry too much then, thank you! :)

We just got through the broody experience with our first broody, a buff orpington, Rose. It was all super exciting! We tried to leave her be as much as possible and took all the newly laid eggs each day. The day before hatching, one of our Easter Eggers squeezed in the nest next to Rose to lay her egg! I'm surprised she made it unscathed! Of the 3 eggs she was sitting on, 1 hatched. We tossed the other 2 eggs on Wednesday. I didn't want her to keep obsessing on duds and get on with her mothering duties. It's pretty awesome to watch and has been a blast. A bit stressful, but fun. I didn't think anything was going to happen and was telling her Sunday "honey, I don't think this is gonna happen for you this time" and lo and behold! A furry face looking back when I checked the nest box! Meet Penny! She's only a few days old, but all seems to be going well so far. Of course, she decided to sit the day before we brought some new pullets home. Ah, chicken math. Lol. So we're going to expand our coop a bit soon and add on to our run to give everyone a bit more space. We haven't been letting them free range all day when we're not home anymore after some predator problems.

Have all of the eggs been from the same source? If so I would consider the possibility of genetic issue with breeding stock as a possible cause.

Last year I had a 3 year old buff orpington rooster I got from a sale, and also 2 one year old roosters, a Dominique and silver grey dorking, that came from Murray McMurray. Those are all gone now and my sole rooster for 15 hens is a cross that was born last year. Hes definitely got some dom and buff in him... maybe dorking too if thats possible. I have 1 four year old buff hen left, also from the sale, and 4 doms and 3 silver grey dorking from McMurray( 2yrs old). I have about half a dozen buffs from the feed store and 3 mixed breed hens from last year. I've tried to keep genetics diverse and ever changing. Fertility hasn't really been an issue, only one or two along the way. Late death in egg is my biggest problem. If the ones that made it to feathered would hatch I would be in much better shape.

Here is current mama with 7 of her 8 babies showing. They are now 4 weeks old and big enough to push mama around when they are trying to all get under her at the same time. Mama (a Phoenix) wants to take them to roost but they are Cochins and their little wings are not ready to fly that high.

New mama is "brooding" nothing but air. I thought she was on someone elses eggs but when I checked tonight, risking the skin on my hand - I might add, there was nothing under her. She is just in her favorite nest and has been able to run the others out of it. I will be picking up some eggs for her tomorrow. She will be getting 6 Lemon Blue LF Cochins. Since 5 of the 8 current babies appear to be boys, I really need to try again - don't you think?
jumpy.gif

All is not lost! We candled half the eggs today and they all looked good. We even saw some movement! (Excuse the blurry picture, it was all my cell phone could do in the dark.)

I'll leave her alone from here on out. Also Penelope is settled and happy in the new nursery we built. Just in time, too... it was over 100 degrees here today and at least in the new spot, she had some shade. Poor thing. She's sitting in the little white house. I ended up just putting some hardware cloth panels to close off the entire underside of the henhouse. It's a much better space now, and the panels can easily be taken off and just screwed back on the next time we have a broody. So we have our system now.

All is not lost! We candled half the eggs today and they all looked good. We even saw some movement! (Excuse the blurry picture, it was all my cell phone could do in the dark.) I'll leave her alone from here on out. Also Penelope is settled and happy in the new nursery we built. Just in time, too... it was over 100 degrees here today and at least in the new spot, she had some shade. Poor thing. She's sitting in the little white house. I ended up just putting some hardware cloth panels to close off the entire underside of the henhouse. It's a much better space now, and the panels can easily be taken off and just screwed back on the next time we have a broody. So we have our system now.
Congrats. I hope she does well.

Hi All. Just a question - I have a beautiful Easter Egger that has gone broody. She has been sitting on anything she can find - other hens eggs or even the ceramic eggs/golf balls in the nest boxes to entice my pullets. This week, I went to collect my duck's egg of the day, and you guessed it, the hen had it tucked away and hit! I have given up - I let her keep the duck egg and I am just wondering if it might hatch just the same. Anyone with this experience??

Back
Top Bottom