Broody Hen Thread!

Two broodies hatched chicks today in the main coop. 4 of the 5 set hatched lovely chicks.

Both mommas have coop hatched before but kept choosing the most popular corner nest and having their chicks crushed. I vowed to never let a hen try to brood in that nest box again.

But alas, apparently a broody hen can learn. Both went broody quickly again and chose a better location...the large open ended box. I put up a partition for one and trusted the other to hunker into the quiet corner it created.

Both mommas have lovely little chicks this morning, 2 each, all fluffed but still sleepy from apparently hatching late yesterday.

Rest of flock is respecting the space. We'll see how this coop experiment goes. (Most of you know I typically hatch in my nice broody hutch with my bantams, but I've been experimenting with main coop hatching as I have a very nice rooster and laid back flock...I've really liked how well the chicks integrate into the main flock being hatched in the main coop...if you can get them through the initial "crush" period at hatch).

Here are mommas....chicks are all lovely blue downed...Splash Marans/Barnevelder. Sorry no picks of babes. Didn't want to over-disturb mommas after checking this morn to see if we'd gotten hatches.

Yay! I enjoy the in the coop hatch as well. Luckily my nests are moveable and I set up a barricaide around the broody on day 18 and leave it until I am sure the eggs are finished. I too had some freshly hatched chicks crushed, so for me this is the best of both worlds. :)

Two broodies hatched chicks today in the main coop. 4 of the 5 set hatched lovely chicks.

Both mommas have coop hatched before but kept choosing the most popular corner nest and having their chicks crushed. I vowed to never let a hen try to brood in that nest box again.

But alas, apparently a broody hen can learn. Both went broody quickly again and chose a better location...the large open ended box. I put up a partition for one and trusted the other to hunker into the quiet corner it created.

Both mommas have lovely little chicks this morning, 2 each, all fluffed but still sleepy from apparently hatching late yesterday.

Rest of flock is respecting the space. We'll see how this coop experiment goes. (Most of you know I typically hatch in my nice broody hutch with my bantams, but I've been experimenting with main coop hatching as I have a very nice rooster and laid back flock...I've really liked how well the chicks integrate into the main flock being hatched in the main coop...if you can get them through the initial "crush" period at hatch).

Here are mommas....chicks are all lovely blue downed...Splash Marans/Barnevelder. Sorry no picks of babes. Didn't want to over-disturb mommas after checking this morn to see if we'd gotten hatches.

Great pictures, hope all goes well with your broodys and babies.

Sweetie with her 5

Mel B with 2 of her 4 showing. About 2 wks old.
thumbsup.gif

My girls had 14 eggs between them. Three were rotten. I have moved the girls, and now they are ... IDK what they are doing. The chicks may or may not make it. I hope if I have to incubate them, they will take the chicks back. They have a while before the incubator is warmed up to decide.

My girls had 14 eggs between them. Three were rotten. I have moved the girls, and now they are ... IDK what they are doing. The chicks may or may not make it. I hope if I have to incubate them, they will take the chicks back. They have a while before the incubator is warmed up to decide.

Moving hens on eggs is a very risky thing, it is best to move them either before giving them eggs or after chicks have hatched. Sometimes moving them at night in complete darkness can work but I have found that most moves need to have a similar nest set up for the initial move at least....if they are in a very enclosed space in the original nest they will more likely settle in a new spot if provided a similar enclosed space in a new location....then after they are content with the new location you can adjust the amount of enclosure around the nest if needed. Hens don't normally like wide open areas for their nest so even a cardboard box over the nest with a hole cut in one side can help them feel more secure as they settle into a new area...

Last edited:
:th You know why I moved them now. :sick
I think they are settled in where they are going to be laying, and I will put the eggs underneath them myself. If they move again, I will just put them in the incubator which is warming up.

Thank you for your advice everyone. I gave the info to mom in law. She seems to think they will snap out of it any day now...i dissagree strongly but found it best to withdraw from the situation. Lets see what happens. She has commited to lifting them off nests 3 times a day to eat and drink. Will give a follow up if theres any changes.

Back
Top Bottom