Broody Hen Thread!

My first chick from my 2 broodys! Bring them on ladies..

Last edited:
@Mysticfishtales
Wow! That's awesome and very exciting!!
I am excited to see if my silky hatches her eggs (not hers).
The sizzle is trying to be broody too, and tried to share the eggs.there are only 3 though. Lol

@kjscortez
There are about 10 under the one that hatched this fuzzy and 8 under the other that is about a week or so behind by candling.
I will not be able to resist taking more pics.
I'm sure more should be pipping but I am at work for a bit longer so I am missing the excitement at home.

Do broodys ever pull their tail feathers out? My bantam EE goes broody constantly and always has a bald chest. But I went in to the coop last week to find her with only one tail feather left. It's possible she might be molting but she's the only one with feather loss. So I don't know. Thanks for any help.

Do broodys ever pull their tail feathers out? My bantam EE goes broody constantly and always has a bald chest. But I went in to the coop last week to find her with only one tail feather left. It's possible she might be molting but she's the only one with feather loss. So I don't know. Thanks for any help.
i read they can pluck themselves to get a better skin to egg contact for better heat exchange, wouldnt think that would be true with tail feathers though

If she is in the coop with other hens it may be them who are plucking at her tail...it isn't unusual for non-broody hens to pull on broody hen's feathers to try to get them off of the nest so they can lay their egg. If she happened to be in the box in a position that put her tail in reach then that could have gotten the plucking.
Molting is also a viable explanation, I have had hens molt while brooding...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom