Broody Hen Thread!

Thanks K Spot! We put the tiniest bowl of water in front of her this morning, and by this afternoon is was almost gone (the shavings were dry, so we think she drank it). The whole "trance" thing is so crazy, but I guess we will just keep an eye on her. As far as candling the eggs, lucking we have a door that drops down behind her back. My hubby can help me check the eggs with minimal crazy chicken. ;)

K Spot already answered your questions... but I just wanted to add... your girl is the poster child for ''I am broody, leave me alone!!"
lau.gif
I absolutely adore that 'super puff' look they get! she is adorable!
Oh my goodness. The poofy chicken look is hilarious! Before we put the eggs under her, we pushed her out to drink some water, etc. and her head was down/tail in the air and she was triple her size with puffiness. She's serious about this broody stuff. Ha!
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Oh my goodness. The poofy chicken look is hilarious! Before we put the eggs under her, we pushed her out to drink some water, etc. and her head was down/tail in the air and she was triple her size with puffiness. She's serious about this broody stuff. Ha!
D.gif
jumpy.gif
Gosh you should see one of my Welsummers - she's taken puffiness to the extreme and nearly takes up the whole nest box!

For anyone who read my post last week - I bought some gold top hens because I was desperate for a broody to raise my chicks this year, I had been tempting my hen with a lovely nest filled with eggs and she was showing signs of broodiness but not settling down. In I got bored of waiting and I bought some eggs and set them the incubator. Literally the next day she goes broody!!! Typical!

So I have eggs in the bator and under my hen :) im sure there is a lesson here about being impatient with mother nature :p

For anyone who read my post last week - I bought some gold top hens because I was desperate for a broody to raise my chicks this year, I had been tempting my hen with a lovely nest filled with eggs and she was showing signs of broodiness but not settling down. In I got bored of waiting and I bought some eggs and set them the incubator. Literally the next day she goes broody!!! Typical!

So I have eggs in the bator and under my hen :) im sure there is a lesson here about being impatient with mother nature :p

It's called chicken math! No biggie if you have the room. How many eggs do you have all together? If it's not too much you may be able to slip those chicks you are hatching under her when they are done.

Hey Guys,
Ok so my Hen is sitting on 5 silkie bantam eggs and today is day 20 and I haven't heard or seen anything yet So my question is should I be seeing or hearing anything by now or am I just being Impatient? Thanks
Ella

Back
Top Bottom