Broody Hen Thread!

I've noticed that for the last few nights one of our pullets has elected to sleep on the floor of the coop, making a small nest in the shavings. Last night she was throwing shavings onto her back until there was a little pile on there, it was so cute. I don't know what it means, but I was wondering if she was possibly trying to go broody.

I don't expect to see a lot from our chickens in that area because I've read several times that Hamburgs are not great brooders, but I guess we'll see what happens with her.
big_smile.png

There are exceptions in every breed, so don't count her out yet! She may very well be thinking of it... you call her a pullet, how old and is she regularly laying eggs? If she is over 7 months and has been regularly laying eggs then her hormones may be sending her signals. Give her some quiet time and a clutch of fake eggs and let her decide what she wants.

There are exceptions in every breed, so don't count her out yet! She may very well be thinking of it... you call her a pullet, how old and is she regularly laying eggs? If she is over 7 months and has been regularly laying eggs then her hormones may be sending her signals. Give her some quiet time and a clutch of fake eggs and let her decide what she wants.

Thanks for the information! She's 8 months old and has been laying regularly for about a month. I would love to see one of my girls go broody, so I'll watch her and see what she does with some fake eggs.
big_smile.png

Hi Everyone! I had not planned on hatching eggs this year, but then 2 of my hens went broody, so I am letting one sit on 8 eggs. Today is day 4. Are the eggs still fertile even though i got rid of the roo over a week before setting eggs? I am so excited! I hope it will work. Any advice? What should I do now? I have never done this before, so suggestions, please?Thank you!

Hi Everyone! I had not planned on hatching eggs this year, but then 2 of my hens went broody, so I am letting one sit on 8 eggs. Today is day 4. Are the eggs still fertile even though i got rid of the roo over a week before setting eggs? I am so excited! I hope it will work. Any advice? What should I do now? I have never done this before, so suggestions, please?Thank you!
Yes...chances are good that the eggs are fertile if he was mating with them.

Hens can stay fertile after mating for up to 3 weeks...sometimes a bit longer.

Lady of McCamley

Hey Goosegirl6 (do you have geese? we got our first ducklings and would love to add geese someday)-- anyways- I think we are close to you in hatch dates-- came home last wed (its Sat) to find the hen that tried to set eggs last yr (week 2 another hen stole the clutch and hatched out the babies, she tried again, hatched one out but that healthy chick disappeared one weekend, sad).... is sitting tight on another batch of 7.... I think she sat on them Tues/Wed b/c I collected all the eggs Sat before (it takes a couple days to get 7 eggs together from my crew of 11, only 9 of which are laying)...
Just keep her calm and quiet....and it should be OK, last year both of mine sat up high in nest boxes and it was sorta complicated. This yr I am happy to say at least she is in a corner on the coop floor, just past the roosts (but there is plenty of poop right next to her, silly girl)...
Lets keep tabs on the clutch ok? I have a second broody thats only sitting on one egg (I didnt realize she was broody and took the eggs but musta missed one)..... Sigh .. the coop design we followed has nest boxes up high but with only one egg, she will jump down as soon as the chick does so it should be ok-- never had any luck moving Broodies...

With the weather (finally) improving the broodies have had the little ones out in the woods teaching them to forage and find good spots for dusting... 3 of my broodies who are jointly raising their chicks have been taking turns on scratching duty while others take the opportunity to dust bath/spa for a few minutes.

Here is Frannie with most of the crew...

The triple broodies with most of their youngsters checking out a piece of cantaloupe DH put down for them

One of our roosters coming over to help teach the youngsters how to tear apart the cantaloupe (while another broody approaches in the background to check out the treat)
Rosie now has some of her crew, and some of the Triplet's crew all eating while another of our roosters watches over them...

We have been very blessed with our broodies this winter, 4 are currently in the main coop with the flock. Chicks from 3 weeks to 6 weeks old with those 4, broody #5 just hatched 5 chicks last night and is still in the 'quiet area' broody hut and broody #6 is on day 7 of setting on her clutch and broody #7 has gone to a box a couple days ago now despite my hoping she wasn't going to be serious about brooding yet (she was hatched in late August)

With the weather (finally) improving the broodies have had the little ones out in the woods teaching them to forage and find good spots for dusting... 3 of my broodies who are jointly raising their chicks have been taking turns on scratching duty while others take the opportunity to dust bath/spa for a few minutes.

Here is Frannie with most of the crew...

The triple broodies with most of their youngsters checking out a piece of cantaloupe DH put down for them

One of our roosters coming over to help teach the youngsters how to tear apart the cantaloupe (while another broody approaches in the background to check out the treat)
Rosie now has some of her crew, and some of the Triplet's crew all eating while another of our roosters watches over them...

We have been very blessed with our broodies this winter, 4 are currently in the main coop with the flock. Chicks from 3 weeks to 6 weeks old with those 4, broody #5 just hatched 5 chicks last night and is still in the 'quiet area' broody hut and broody #6 is on day 7 of setting on her clutch and broody #7 has gone to a box a couple days ago now despite my hoping she wasn't going to be serious about brooding yet (she was hatched in late August)

Seriously sweet. I love those photos! Especially the fact that your roo is watching over them.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom