Broody Hen Thread!

Question, we're wanting to move our broody and her chicks to a separate coop(away from the rest of the flock) while we're away for the weekend. We were hoping her eggs would have hatched earlier in the week, but they just started today and we'd need to move them by tomorrow.

Is this too soon to move our boody and her babies? Would it be better to just leave them with the rest of the flock while we're gone? Our main concern with leaving them with the flock, is that we plan to leave the main coop open for them to free range while we're gone. Someone will be stopping by to feed them, but nobody will be home on a consistent basis.

Mama hens usually move pretty easily once the babies are hatched, my main concern would be lack of security for the hen and new babies if the coop will be open for an extended time. If this has been something you have done before without problem then it sounds like you are good to go then. Predator risks are best judged based on your experience and it sounds like your flock is pretty easy going toward broodies and babies. I wouldn't expect her to want to roam too far at all the first 2 or 3 days at least, though there is also a risk that the babies could get separated from the broody and left outside if there is a ramp... I find they usually aren't good with ramps until they are 3 or 4 days old.
I just had a hen go broody so I put 8 fresh duck eggs under her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some ducklings! You think it's to many eggs? They are pretty big.

Congrats on your broody... Lady of M gave you good advice on numbers.

They all think they have to sit on this nest. Which I think is weird cause they are game gens and I figured they wouldnt share like they are but they are so sweet to each other.

That is adorable!
My buff Orpington has been persistantly broody for the last two weeks, so when our bator-eggs hatched I decided to give her a handful of chicks to care for. It's so moving to watch her interact with her babies! I really wasn't sure if she'd be a good mom, because I literally had to stuff them underneath her as she didnt understand that she should lift herself a little when they try to go under. But she figured it out over the first night, and I'm so glad I gave her the chance!

love.gif
. I never get tired of seeing broodies with their new chicks... they make a beautiful picture melina 90! Congrats!

One of our buffs went broody while we were away, and the neighbor who was going to collect eggs and keep an eye on the birds was afraid to bother her. The hen was very content staying on the nest in the coop amidst the other chickens. About a day after the the eggs started hatching we moved mama, babies and remaining eggs to a really large plastic storage container- probably not the best situation, but mama could stay on the nest on the unhatched eggs, and the new chicks could run about without getting away from her. The container was large enough so that we could place containers of food and water inside. Mama seemed quite content with this situation. We placed the container inside the fenced area by our coop. The mother could get out if she wanted, but I never saw her doing so. They all stayed in the container until the mama started getting restless and scratching around a lot. Then we took them out and put them with the other chickens, but blocked them off so the chicks wouldn't get run over, and the other chickens could get used to seeing and hearing them. It all worked out very well, and we have 8 healthy little chicks being cared for by a very good mama. She leads them out of the coop each morning right along with the other chickens and takes them all back into the coop in the late afternoon. (And they're only 2- 2 1/2 weeks old!)

What breed are good broodys

I have always had "goldtop" hens for my broodys. They are a silkie cross light sussex. They go broody at the drop of a hat but also lay bantam size cream eggs and are a reliable layer when they are not broody. Ive had gold tops that have lived well into their teens and were super healthy!

One of our buffs went broody while we were away, and the neighbor who was going to collect eggs and keep an eye on the birds was afraid to bother her. The hen was very content staying on the nest in the coop amidst the other chickens. About a day after the the eggs started hatching we moved mama, babies and remaining eggs to a really large plastic storage container- probably not the best situation, but mama could stay on the nest on the unhatched eggs, and the new chicks could run about without getting away from her. The container was large enough so that we could place containers of food and water inside. Mama seemed quite content with this situation. We placed the container inside the fenced area by our coop. The mother could get out if she wanted, but I never saw her doing so. They all stayed in the container until the mama started getting restless and scratching around a lot. Then we took them out and put them with the other chickens, but blocked them off so the chicks wouldn't get run over, and the other chickens could get used to seeing and hearing them. It all worked out very well, and we have 8 healthy little chicks being cared for by a very good mama. She leads them out of the coop each morning right along with the other chickens and takes them all back into the coop in the late afternoon. (And they're only 2- 2 1/2 weeks old!)
cute
goodpost.gif

I have always had "goldtop" hens for my broodys. They are a silkie cross light sussex. They go broody at the drop of a hat but also lay bantam size cream eggs and are a reliable layer when they are not broody. Ive had gold tops that have lived well into their teens and were super healthy! 
Ok :) thank you i am hatching some white silkies, and i have a light sussex rooster aha so works out well :)

I have several eggs that should hatch this weekend. My rooster seems to be "standing watch". He's been staying next to the box all day. He doesn't seem to be Interested in being in there...just kind of hanging out next to it. Is this a sign? He's not stayed in the coop like this before.

Maybe its a sign of a protective father :/ id be careful of he is near to pick up the chicks or anything. Maybe not ahah :lol:

Back
Top Bottom