Broody Hen Thread!

Do you have the incubator plugged in and heating up right now with water in the wells? I think, moving them at this late stage, getting your humidity up is the most urgent thing. Since you don't have a full day or so to regulate the temp on your incubator you probably need to have someone watching the temp almost constantly so it doesn't end up cooking them. I know I saw on here someone who actually used a tote box, heating pad, and maybe damp towels for the humidity. I wish someone would see this who has done this before. But honestly, my thinking is, as long as they don't get too cold or dry out, being exact isn't quite as urgent, just getting them with heat and humidity is the main priority.
Yes, I've got the incubator heating up and water in the wells. When I went to get the eggs I picked her up to get the remaining three and she had pecked one out of the shell and killed it. Grrr. I am so mad at her right now.

The others are in the incubator right now. The temp is around 101 as far as I can tell but I don't have a way to measure the humidity. I hope they hatch.

Since they are this close to hatch, I think you will do fine. I would watch closely for anyone getting stuck since they lost a lot of humidity. I hope you can save the rest of these babies. I am sorry she turned out to be such a bad momma. :(

Yes, I've got the incubator heating up and water in the wells. When I went to get the eggs I picked her up to get the remaining three and she had pecked one out of the shell and killed it. Grrr. I am so mad at her right now.

The others are in the incubator right now. The temp is around 101 as far as I can tell but I don't have a way to measure the humidity. I hope they hatch.
Oh Geezzz.....good luck!

I am so so sorry. I am a first-timer and don't know what I'm doing. I hope it works out.
I have two that have started pipping and one of them actually made a hole in the shell. I wS sitting out watching and the mama actually stood up and got off and I heard the hole egg chirp! But then the mama pecked twice at it and then gathered them all and sat back down again. This makes me nervous that she's pecking if yours pecked too!!! Anyone ever had a broody pecking at an egg and have it end alright? We don't have anything to continue if she goes crazy. Only one other broody hen who has been sitting somewhere else for a week that maybe we could transfer eggs??

Had a great surprise when I got home from camping today!! My broody BA has eggs that have their beaks in the air cell!

Quote:
I wouldn't move her eggs. She may have been helping with an extra thickshell. I have learned from sad experience not to interfere unless the hen has abandoned the eggs. If they are pipping, just stay out of her way. It will PROBABLY work out ok. The hen would probably rather you go away completely for a while. (no insult intended)

Quote:
I wouldn't move her eggs. She may have been helping with an extra thickshell. I have learned from sad experience not to interfere unless the hen has abandoned the eggs. If they are pipping, just stay out of her way. It will PROBABLY work out ok. The hen would probably rather you go away completely for a while. (no insult intended)
Thank you. No insult taken!! We did just leave her completely alone. After that episode she settled back down and is very restful now. I decided that what will happen will happen. I don't have any supplies for keeping chicks separately, so we are just praying for a good outcome. Thanks for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom