Broody Hen Thread!

Hello! I love reading through all these, just had my first broody hen experience ever :)

As a newbie, I'm not too sure on my hen or roos breed even after looking online.. when I think I've got it, another breed throws me off. We got them from my cousin as day old chicks whom is also clueless lol

We collected her first 3 eggs then left the rest (1st egg was massive - double yolk then 2nd was super tiny and 3rd egg was collected as a precaution). After 12 eggs she decided to go broody but before that she kept flying out of our fenced coop so my dad cut some of her wing feathers.. I was worried this may affect how well she incubated the eggs but alas, proved me wrong! I candled only once on day 7 (2 eggs) as I was paranoid any disturbance would result in her abandoning the eggs.. did I mention I'm a newbie? haha

Fast forward, this morning 8 hatched !! 1 egg might make it as the shell looks cracked while the other 3 are probably infertile? We'll give an extra day to see if anymore hatch however its now 8pm and they look the same. I'll check on them tomorrow morning with my mum.

My cousin told me we should remove the chicks so mummy hen won't be distracted and sit on the other eggs longer. I was especially afraid she may reject the chicks later so was against this but mum was adamant. Well, we tried which only resulted in one angry mumma and her standing up so we put all the chicks under her again.

Will post pics tomorrow, the chicks are sooooooooo cute :)

Mushu: So glad you were successful. I might have some at the end of the month. I am just dying to see if anything hatches!! But I might have an issue, the nesting box is everyone's fav, and I always see someone new sitting on the eggs. When I collect they are always nice and toasty, someone new in the box and different eggs in it.

I've marked the ones that I want left out there, so I know they have stayed put-but I am still anxious! I am soooooooooooooo ready for some babies!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I got 4 more chicks today for Lucy. She already had 4 (Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans, 2 Speckled Sussex); when I got home, I gave her (in broad daylight) the most stable chick who was a Barred Rock. I just set it in front of her, took a gamble, and she didn't attack or anything! Baby didn't know what to do so I showed her food and water, then tucked her under Lucy. Took another Barred Rock baby out there and she was fine again. The next 2 look completely different than what she has, so it will be interesting to see if she's actually such a good mommy that she just wants any chicks she can get, or if the Barred Rocks I gave her today so much resembled 2 she already had that she didn't know the difference. We'll see!

Well I got 4 more chicks today for Lucy. She already had 4 (Barred Rock, Cuckoo Marans, 2 Speckled Sussex); when I got home, I gave her (in broad daylight) the most stable chick who was a Barred Rock. I just set it in front of her, took a gamble, and she didn't attack or anything! Baby didn't know what to do so I showed her food and water, then tucked her under Lucy. Took another Barred Rock baby out there and she was fine again. The next 2 look completely different than what she has, so it will be interesting to see if she's actually such a good mommy that she just wants any chicks she can get, or if the Barred Rocks I gave her today so much resembled 2 she already had that she didn't know the difference. We'll see!
Hopefully she takes to them well also! It's great that she is so willing to play 'mama' for you!

I'm looking forward to the pics!
pop.gif

She took them all! When I brought out the last 2 babies, she nipped one on the head and it very much resembled a sweet little love kiss! No aggression shown towards any of the 4 new chicks today. Now she has chicks with hatch dates ranging from:
1 chick - 1/30
3 chicks - 2/6
4 chicks - 2/11

I can't believe she's so sweet! She's quite a brat who likes to bite my legs when she's not broody, and since she's gone broody she hasn't bitten or pecked me once.

So our little silkie went broody in January *sigh* and on Jan 25 hatched 2 little chicks! they are doing great. This has caused a chain reaction in the coop lol we now have a Wesummer sitting on 7 eggs due to hatch next week and today one of thee buffs is trying to be a flat chicken too!

Back
Top Bottom