Broody Hen Thread!

My broody cochin is on day 20 and babies are hatching I can hear them faintly peeping and mama is acting different listening cooing and positioning her body different. I cant wait to see the babies poke their tiny heads out from under her. Only 3 eggs, Black Sexlinks, it was her first time so I didnt want to over do it. Hopefully I will have pics soon to come.
How exciting! Keep us posted!

Hi again! Update on my first time ever broody. My husband and I moved her last night to her own pen with a bigger nest box. This morning after sunup she was up off the nest scratching around and wondering where the heck she was. :) She's been back on the nest now for several hours. I've gotten some fertile eggs from a friend to put under her since the ones she's on are duds. :) Question is: when is best time to do this, at night? How many should I put under her? My friend gave me 18, but that seems like a little much. She's got about 12 under her now. And what's the best way to warm them up a little before I put them under her? Right now they are at room temperature.
Thanks!

If they're room temp they are good to go. If she doesn't mind you putting your hand under her you can put the new eggs under now. But if she gets upset, after dark will be best. I only have bantam chickens, so no idea on the amount to put under her!

If they're room temp they are good to go. If she doesn't mind you putting your hand under her you can put the new eggs under now. But if she gets upset, after dark will be best. I only have bantam chickens, so no idea on the amount to put under her!
Thanks, BirdGirlz for the advice. I'm going to make the switch tonight and will take all that are under her, which I think is about a dozen, and replace with 12 fertile eggs from my friend. I'm saving the other 6 fertile ones because I think one of my Dominiques has gone broody as well. Wow! And I haven't had a broody hen in the 3 years since I've kept chickens. I'm very excited!

I went out to the nestbox and lifted up the lid and one of my silkie hens were sitting on 3 eggs she laid,when i opened the the lid she got off and went out of the box then about 15 minutes later when i put more food in there the silkie rooster and both silkie hens went in there to eat, the roo and 1 hen came out and the same one stayed in on the eggs i think.......do you think she is broody?? I kinda do,its march here in Ohio.......thanks for any feed back!!!

I went out to the nestbox and lifted up the lid and one of my silkie hens were sitting on 3 eggs she laid,when i opened the the lid she got off and went out of the box then about 15 minutes later when i put more food in there the silkie rooster and both silkie hens went in there to eat, the roo and 1 hen came out and the same one stayed in on the eggs i think.......do you think she is broody?? I kinda do,its march here in Ohio.......thanks for any feed back!!!

She may be roosting in there. Give her about a day and if she is hissing and growling and getting all upset when you get close to her then you will have some little ones in three weeks.

My first broody hatched 7 of 9 cuties a cple days ago. She's in a seperate smaller pen and I was wondering if I let her out into the coop how will I make sure the babies go to the chick food? Will the hen automatically go to the layer pellets instead of taking the chicks to their food? Or should I wait until they are older? If so what age?

Back
Top Bottom