Broody Hen Thread!

Lol. Well there r lots of things around me, but VERY few with "petting zoo chickens", as most in my area call my chickens. Usually just backyard mixes is about all I can find here. And we have spent LOTS of time & $$ building seperate large runs with coops, on #6 now, to keep from having mixed. Lol
Mine aren't purchased as petting zoo chickens but they gradually make the transition!
smile.png

Last edited:
Mine aren't purchased as petting zoo chickens but they gradually make the transition!
smile.png
I think she meant that her pure breds are considered petting zoo chickens because around her no one worries about breed.

On a side note, I now have a second broody starting up, she will not get off the eggs, but I made a switch yesterday, and put all one kind of egg under her, and took out her one egg, today she laid another egg (or maybe it was yesterday) I know it was her, because my other silkie has been broody for a week now, on 3 silkie eggs, and a large brown egg. Silkie number two (2nd broody) chose a very inconvenient spot, I cannot reach her, I was collecting her eggs from that corner with my foot, this is also how I pulled the egg she had laid out of her nest yesterday, before rolling the desired eggs in, I cannot get back there to pull specific eggs, and I forgot to mark the eggs that I chose anyway. argh, I'm afraid that rolling the eggs out of the nest to mark them (while she's out for her mid morning constitutional) and pull eggs that don't belong, would hurt the developing chicks. is there a point that the larger birds will stop laying in the broody's nest? or will this continue all the way through? the silkies are my only bantams

Back
Top Bottom