Broody Hen Thread!

I have a question. I have a hen that's been sitting for 11 days so far. Sometimes the other hens won't let her eat and she rarely gets up to eat! Do you think if I moved her nesting box and separated her from the others she would continue to nest on her eggs? I want to move her away from the others, but I'm afraid she won't go back on her eggs and she has worked so hard!! Suggestions please??? TIA

I have a question. I have a hen that's been sitting for 11 days so far. Sometimes the other hens won't let her eat and she rarely gets up to eat! Do you think if I moved her nesting box and separated her from the others she would continue to nest on her eggs? I want to move her away from the others, but I'm afraid she won't go back on her eggs and she has worked so hard!! Suggestions please??? TIA
welcome-byc.gif

I've moved broodies and their nests and had it go either way. I've had them settle right in, and I had one that I moved in the night and when I went to check on her in the morning she had gone completely bonkers. Several of her eggs were broken, and she was flipping out. If you do decide to move her, it does work well to move them at night with as little light or commotion as possible. She still will rarely get up to eat or drink. A broody will usually only get off her nest once a day, maybe twice to eat, drink, relieve herself and maybe dust bathe.

Awesome! I will check as i am in south africa!

Ah, yup, on the bottom of the world. lol =)
I would move her, being there is apparently trouble. A broody will only get up maybe once a day to eat/drink and poo. I had a broody and I was going to let her stay with the flock, but at least one of my Leghorns was picking on her and laying in her bucket. If I can leave a broody with her flock, I prefer to try to do that, but I won't sacrifice my broody to flock dynamics.
If you have broody chickens and chickens that peck on broodies, then I would create a space for broodies to brood away from the flock.
That's just me and you'll get as many answers to any animal husbandry question as keepers you ask. =)
All the best to you and your broody!!! =)

Ah, yup, on the bottom of the world. lol =)
I would move her, being there is apparently trouble. A broody will only get up maybe once a day to eat/drink and poo. I had a broody and I was going to let her stay with the flock, but at least one of my Leghorns was picking on her and laying in her bucket. If I can leave a broody with her flock, I prefer to try to do that, but I won't sacrifice my broody to flock dynamics.
If you have broody chickens and chickens that peck on broodies, then I would create a space for broodies to brood away from the flock.
That's just me and you'll get as many answers to any animal husbandry question as keepers you ask. =)
All the best to you and your broody!!! =)

X2
Other option is to block off the area where she is brooding so she is still in contact with the flock, but they can't get to her when shes sitting on her nest.

Back
Top Bottom