Broody Hen Thread!

This is interesting, especially about not handling the eggs. I really, really hope I didn't screw up her hatching by cleaning up the broken, rotten egg yesterday. I tried to handle everything as little as possible, but I didn't know about trying to put the back into the exact same position they were in. I'll be so relieved if I get even one chick out the remaining 7 eggs.
You are fine. You had to move the eggs to clean, and you are VERY early in the cycle, so don't fret. Take deep breaths and let the hen do her job.

My hens, for the most part, come off the nest every day for a short time. One was off for an hour at a time, but it was in August and the temps were 100+ when she was out scratching and eating. They know.

Agatha doesn't move. She has been in her huge broody pen now for 13 days. There have been 2 broody poops. That's it. Her food is barely eaten. She has a tendency to sit with her head toward the back of the nest so all we ever see is her tail sticking out. Last year when she did that I kept making her get off for a bit every couple of days, at great peril to my own safety! This year I'm just not messing with her at all. She has a much much larger pen and if she wants to stretch her legs she sure can. It's been so hard to make me leave her alone!

My silkies are great hatchers and mothers. Mine has been free ranging in my yard with the rest of my mixed flock and is doing great. She has three chicks.

Back
Top Bottom