Broody Hen Thread!

Went outside and sat quietly on a bucket just outside the run. I was listening so hard for any little peeps or other sounds coming from the broody pen. I know I can hear Agatha (Atilla the Hen) making little soft clucking sounds, but then I thought I heard peeping! I sat so still I was barely breathing - I even resented the sound of the pulse in my bad ear. (I'm totally deaf in the left ear but it likes to plug in sound effects.) I came in to shower in Calamine Lotion because of the stooopid mosquitoes, and Ken went out there for about 10 minutes. He came in saying he didn't hear a thing. Well, doggone it! Doesn't he know that's the wrong answer? There are 4 eggs remaining under Agatha and I am so hoping for baby Scout. Hatch day is tomorrow.

My brother who I going to look after the hens is willing to look after the chick but he works all day and will only be able to feed it 1-2 times a day. its going to be lonely during the day, do you think the hen may take it, I will hopefully have time to introduce it to the hen or do you think it's not worth trying. Thanks for both of your help.
Hey, the coolest thing about baby chicks is that they feed themselves. Not like baby birds at all! Give them safe food, safe water, a heating pad over top of some wire and they are good. But should def have buddies.

...a hen not properly incubating chicks is a reasonable indicator that she wouldn't be a great mother hen. Typically the best setters are the best mothers...typically.

Great point!

I don't know that I would trust a broody right first go at it. I'm watching mine so close. She keeps gets on the wrong nest every now and then after her morning out. But she's 10 months and doesn't get out the rest of the day or night. I'll keep watching to make sure she gets back. I feel if I move her, they are in such a routine, she'll freak to get out and get even more confused. I will help her until hatch fingers crossed then move the whole kit and kaboodle to their own pen.

Heat lamp, tell your brother to make sure the chick has chick food avail for it at all times and clean water. My biggest concern is the chick getting cold and dying. I would put a small towel rolled up like a nest, in a brooder box with a heat lamp. Hope this helps until you can tend to it.

I agree. I would try your local thread for a chick/incubator sitter, and see if you can get someone in your area to help. Plus see if any have chicks that will be less than a week old at your chicks hatch. When you get back you can pop one in with her. I'm sure someone in your area would help.

I have tried looking, but nope. They all say they have finished their hatches for the time being. I do have a friend that will have chicks that will be two weeks old by the time this one hatches, they are in a brooder. Would that work???

Last edited:
Hey, the coolest thing about baby chicks is that they feed themselves. Not like baby birds at all! Give them safe food, safe water, a heating pad over top of some wire and they are good. But should def have buddies.
The water I use doesn't seem to last that long with the heat lamp. I guess I could in vest in another one.... something a bit bigger.

Rose98 - sure. I used plastic butter tubs filled with stones. 23 chicks ran them dry fast. Stones and containers are free and If you put more than one out? The chick waterer I bought lasted longer it was only a couple dollars here.

It will work out. Maybe you could even find a couple broilers to keep the chick company? They are surely around from hatcheries.

Keep looking, craigslist? Something will turn up.

You could post your situation. "Chicken People" are very kind, warm and generous.

Not a heat lamp fan...I like the heat pad, that way they won't overheat.

But honestly, look how the feed stores treat the poor creatures. Having someone taking actual care, and checking on things a couple times a day will be a much better deal.

Last edited:
Rose98 - sure. I used plastic butter tubs filled with stones. 23 chicks ran them dry fast. Stones and containers are free and If you put more than one out? The chick waterer I bought lasted longer it was only a couple dollars here.

It will work out. Maybe you could even find a couple broilers to keep the chick company? They are surely around from hatcheries.

Keep looking, craigslist? Something will turn up.

You could post your situation. "Chicken People" are very kind, warm and generous.

Not a heat lamp fan...I like the heat pad, that way they won't overheat.

But honestly, look how the feed stores treat the poor creatures. Having someone taking actual care, and checking on things a couple times a day will be a much better deal.

Thanks very much I will defiantly keep looking, do you think it's worth trying it with the hen or not?

Back
Top Bottom