Broody Hen Thread!

Hi!! New to the site, hope I'm in the correct place.
We have a new hen added to our flock and today she has shown quite the personality! She is very aggressive when trying to collect eggs. She has even pecked our hands. She also have been pecking at our eggs and has broke a few in the last two days.
We are new to this have no idea how to help her.

Today my 8 year old broody's eggs started hatching... 10 are out, and 5 more pipped... Only one egg didn't pip yet and no chirping.. So i think this one won't hatch... That hopefully will make 15 chicks out of 16 eggs!
I shall check on her tomorrow and update with pictures!

Hi!! New to the site, hope I'm in the correct place.
We have a new hen added to our flock and today she has shown quite the personality! She is very aggressive when trying to collect eggs. She has even pecked our hands. She also have been pecking at our eggs and has broke a few in the last two days.
We are new to this have no idea how to help her.
WELCOME!!!!!

Your hen is Broody/going broody-----wanting to hatch some eggs, get her some babies. You can do 3 things

1. You can "set" her.
2. You can "Break" her
3. You can ignore her---which could takes weeks, even months for some hens to get back to normal.

Thats your call, Me---I set Everyone that stays broody----my broodies have hatched around 400 chicks in the last year.

Like I said---"some will say it doesn't matter",  I can not say it affected hers any---I do not know-----I just know for a fact it matters here----where I live---so when I give advise---I try to let the person know how doing this or that affects me in my location----Might affect them the same way----might not-----like it did not affect your hatch. Things/places/chickens are different----example---I set 47 hens in the last year and I can not recall One hen that pooped in her nest----not one----never had to clean up a nest. So I could say where I live hens do not poop in their nest-----where you live yours poop in it every day---wonder why?
Sorry was not trying to offend

Sorry was not trying to offend
You were saying because your one hatched-----then you doubt that was the problem----And for you---that the way it worked. For me----If i pick up a broody the last 3 days, tilt her remove eggs to listen------My hatch rate goes down-----so I was saying in "MY" location It Does Make a difference----Not it might----It Does. Of course I never do that any more----so I have a great hatch rate and I like to share what I have learned with others.

Now you missed a question----I am sure others and myself would like to know----why out of my 47 hens----None that I remember poops in the nest in the 21 days they were on it-----you stated you had to clean the poop in your nest every day-----What you reckon is the difference?? Did you feed your hen while she was in the nest??

Last edited:
Enough of that guys everyone calm down... No big deal everyone is free to do what he likes...

You were saying because your one hatched-----then you doubt that was the problem----And for you---that the way it worked. For me----If i pick up a broody the last 3 days, tilt her remove eggs to listen------My hatch rate goes down-----so I was saying in "MY" location It Does Make a difference----Not it might----It Does. Of course I never do that any more----so I have a great hatch rate and I like to share what I have learned with others.

Now you missed a question----I am sure others and myself would like to know----why out of my 47 hens----None that I remember poops in the nest in the 21 days they were on it-----you stated you had to clean the poop in your nest every day-----What you reckon is the difference?? Did you feed your hen while she was in the nest??
Yes I feed them and water them but I don't mind the poop it's just stinky

Ok, so day 21 has come and my co-owner called to say we have chicks!!! I set 10 under her and I don't know how many have hatched. We talked about checking, but now I am thinking we should give any unhatched eggs a few days in case they are pipped (don't want any shrink wrapped chicks!!) what say all you wise experienced broody owners? P.S. When I go up I will get pics of any chicks out from under mom and running around.

Last edited:
Quote: 'Allowing' a broody to poop in the nest is not good for the hen or the eggs/chicks.
That's why you put the food/water out of reach of the nest...and 'convince' them to partake of it, as well as stretch their legs and poop outside the nest.
Now they might drop a load in the nest during the last few days but again why you check the condition of the nest and eggs around day 23 or so.

<sigh> Still waiting for Agatha to hatch me out a Little Scout or two....not a sign of anything happening out there. She was off the nest for a few minutes this evening for a drink - it's been in the 90s here and she wasn't very comfortable. So while she was out I sneaked a peek from the brooder pen door. Love this set up because I don't have to go inside to look. I see 4 little eggs, doing absolutely nothing yet. I ain't no doggone good at this "patiently waiting" thing but I know I made a lot of mistakes interfering last year and I'm determined to trust her this time around. She's been sitting like a veteran broody and I owe her a little respect. (But I sure wish those eggs would hurry up!)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom