Broody Hen Thread!

I know you edited out the last sentence in your original post, People do get bothered talking about eating their yard birds, but those same ones will go to the grocery store and buy those chickens and eat them or a chicken sandwich at a fast food or fried chicken from Bojan,Kentucky, etc. A lot of those places have had so much Meat recalls----I never seen on the news that a back yard chicken farmer had bad meat out of his own processed chickens---LOL. We back yard farmers Know How our meat was raised, taken care of etc.
I butcher extra cockerels. They have a wonderful, free ranging life for several months, unlike those poor CornishX's that live on wire in a tiny cage for the whole of their 6 weeks of life. I know they are butchered respectfully with as little pain as possible and that they aren't tortured. I know the meat is healthy and well developed from exercise and chicken games. I am respectful of life and try to provide as painless a death as possible. It is what I owe them for providing my family with food. You are absolutely right!!

At the moment she is still in the do kennel and last I checked she was sitting on the golf balls but didn't have that broody look to her. Like laying flat and spreading over the eggs. But maybe she will snap back into it since she is in a dark area with eggs

I think I just screwed up. My little silkie was sitting on golf balls until my hatchery chicks arrived so she could adopt them. So when I went to check on her my other much larger standard breed chicken was pecking her. So I picked her up and put her in a dog kennel with some stray and the golf balls but now she won't sit on them. It seems like she snapped out of being broody. Any suggestions on what I should do. Or how I could get her to go broody again.

Did you put her back in her original place? You can not just grab up most broodies and put them in another place---they have to be moved properly to stand a good chance of them accepting the new place. I am sure I will probably find a broody that will not accept a move one day, but out of moving 67 last year---0/none have become un-broody, none rejected the new place.

Did you put her back in her original place? You can not just grab up most broodies and put them in another place---they have to be moved properly to stand a good chance of them accepting the new place. I am sure I will probably find a broody that will not accept a move one day, but out of moving 67 last year---0/none have become un-broody, none rejected the new place.
No I haven't put her back in the same spot I will check on her in about and hour or two. I am currently not at home.

Our hen Brownie with her dirty dozen.... poor girl spends much of her day being a jungle gym! LOL

How many bantam eggs can I safety set under a standard-sized broody hen?

I just purchased 12 bantam hatching eggs off ebay with the intent to set them under my broody hen. The seller just let me know that she is actually sending 16 eggs. Is there any way I can give them all to my hen, or should I plan on setting some of them up in the incubator?

Back
Top Bottom