Broody Hen Thread!

I have nine hens setting six to twelve eggs each here in Wis temperatures still cold hens get off nest barely long enough to eat so hoping for the best funny thing is all the hens set the same day

I have a BO hen that I'm letting set on 8 eggs. I gave in to her after going broody 3 times in 4 months! I made her a nest in a cardboard box in a crate. She sets on the eggs for 24 hours and takes her break when I open up the coop and feed in the mornings. Problem is, she won't go back to the nest I made for her! She goes and sets on the empty regular nests, and I'm having to move her to the nest of eggs in the crate. After 3 days of moving her, I'm about ready to transfer her to a regular nest.

Ok so take two on separating my 3 broody hens, I built a 3 separate cage today directly across from the "favorite" nest box after taking all 3 broody outside to their favorite dust bath place this afternoon. Then I brought each one back to "her" new nest site. All 3 have stayed in their new nest boxes all day and have all bedded down in them with plastic eggs under them. My hope is that everyone stays in the new boxes so that tomorrow night which will be day 17 I can move 18 eggs out of my incubator into their nest and let the girls hatch them. Here are the pictures of the new nest box though I guess really I only have 2 new nest boxes since I let Limpy my turkey hen keep hers.

ie in her's everyone please keep fingers crossed that this time it takes.
fl.gif

Ok good news sun is up everyone got up to do their broody business and a sneaking Barred Rock snuck into Rockie's broody pen and OMG was she screaming bloody murder you don't have to speak chicken to know she was cussing out Lit Bit so I quickly grabbed Rockie and pulled out Lit Bit any stuck in Rockie who still was screaming and glaring at Lit Bit. Of course 10 mins later when I return with the chick feeder and water I see a flash of white in Rockie box and sure enough have to fish Spunky my White EE out of there then And two more times before I finally get it all blocked off she was determined to lay her green egg in Rockie's box but nope not today darlin'. So now eating breakfast then will take them out their real eggs and wait to hear peep peep and see their little fuzzy faces.

Last edited:
Eggs are all planted let the broody hatching begin smile.png today is day 17 for two of the broodies and day 15 for the third. Can't wait to see the little fluffy faces and hear there newly hatched peep peep

Ok good news sun is up everyone got up to do their broody business and a sneaking Barred Rock snuck into Rockie's broody pen and OMG was she screaming bloody murder you don't have to speak chicken to know she was cussing out Lit Bit so I quickly grabbed Rockie and pulled out Lit Bit any stuck in Rockie who still was screaming and glaring at Lit Bit. Of course 10 mins later when I return with the chick feeder and water I see a flash of white in Rockie box and sure enough have to fish Spunky my White EE out of there then And two more times before I finally get it all blocked off she was determined to lay her green egg in Rockie's box but nope not today darlin'. So now eating breakfast then will take them out their real eggs and wait to hear peep peep and see their little fuzzy faces.
Good luck with the real eggs!

Yes yes yes ALL Broodies are on the correct nest keeping their eggs warm with a steel broody glare going on. These ladies mean business they are going to turn those little eggs into peeping loving chicks. Everyone thank you for crossing everything now its time to play the wait game....will post when chicks appear.

Last edited:
Yes yes yes ALL Broodies are on the correct nest keeping their eggs warm with a steel broody glare going on. These ladies mean business they are going to turn those little eggs into peeping loving chicks. Everyone thank you for crossing everything now its time to play the wait game....will post when chicks appear.
thumbsup.gif
I hope all goes well for you and you get many chicks. Don't forget me when you have some midget white eggs to sell. I'm trying to encourage my wife's big hens to go broody. At the same time I'm trying to encourage the serama to slow down a bit. Ehh, not really. Two new families of chicks this week; a third hen due to hatch Saturday...and on it goes.

Thanks and no worries I have you down once I get back from the Caribbean turkey eggs will be going back into the incubator and as soon as they hatch for me a dozen will be on the way to you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom