Broody Hen Thread!

Did she accept the move OK??

Yes she did actually. She was cozy and relaxed when I checked on her about half hour ago. She made a nest and is somehow on all those eggs.

So should I just take babies out as they hatch and put in a brooder and leave the last couple for her to mother?

Or let her hatch them and when she decides to stop laying on them, put the remainder in the incubator and try to hatch them that way?

Get ready to laugh. I have a broody hen and no clue. She's in a hayrack and out of the way. Eggs (2) should be fertile. Does she need food and h2o at hand? I've never thought about broody birds we have a brinsea. I don't use this site so be patient if I don't respond.

Yes she did actually. She was cozy and relaxed when I checked on her about half hour ago. She made a nest and is somehow on all those eggs.

So should I just take babies out as they hatch and put in a brooder and leave the last couple for her to mother?

Or let her hatch them and when she decides to stop laying on them, put the remainder in the incubator and try to hatch them that way?

I would think either option would be a good one! I would say trust your intuition with her! You could do both options even. Not knowing when they will all hatch, it may be best to let her hatch as many as she wants, then incubate the rest knowing they will come between now and 21 days from now!

0My Wyandott lady seems OK. Has h2o and corn. 19 days I'll see.
smile.png
Don't put the food and water too close to her nest. She needs to get out at least once a day to eat, drink and poo, not to mention stretching her little legs.

As for food. She needs a nutritious chick starter or higher protein game bird finisher while she is brooding. Sitting on those eggs takes a lot out of those little bodies. A week before the chicks are due to hatch, switch her feed over to chick starter so she is use to eating it and knows to take her chicks to a feeder. As far as water is concerned, make sure your water dispenser is chick proof. marbles or pebbles will serve the purpose.

Also make certain that once hatched the babies can follow mom down from the hay rack.

Congratulations on your broody! If you have questions, feel free to ask. This is the right place for answers.

Well first let me say this to be Honest----I have NO experience in doing what is ahead of you--only a opinion. Yes I have set and had 100's of broody hens to hatch in the years---72 in 2015 alone. But Never a staggered hatch. I know a hen will leave the nest and abandon the un-hatched eggs in time----you might could move her feed and water close to her and keep her setting longer but you will FOR SURE get some serious stinking poop in the nest---that's why I never have food and water close to the nest. If you are around most all the time---you could let her hatch as many as she can, but she might get off the nest when you are not around. """I"" feel if you will remove the hatched ones each night and put them in the brooder you might have better luck with the numbers , but that's your call. Your eggs are so staggered she might give up anyway if you remove them. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom