Broody Hen Thread!

Quote:
The best thing you can do is just move her to a separate location, away from the other chickens. Give her a nest with to sit on, food and water, and room to stretch and move around in. When night comes, put her on the nest and she will happily sit.
big_smile.png
Give her some golf balls to sit on. When the eggs come place them under her(again at night) and enjoy! She will get up once or twice a day to eat, drink, stretch, and poop. It will take 21 days( I think 18 for bantams) so all you have to do is provide housing, food and water and you're good to go! She will do the rest, so you don't worry too much. Once the eggs hatch she will raise them until they are 5-7 weeks old, and you can decide what to do with your cute batch of chicks. Good luck with your hatch! I'm on day 18 with mine! And
bun.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
bun.gif
Hope this information helps you!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hey, i also did a thread too
tongue.png
. Not as many post as this one, but the more people to talk about their broodies the better!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not related to her it all, our sultan hen layed 2 eggs for her and she hatched them. They are a sultan/polish cross.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there our bantam Mable has been sitting on six fertilized eggs since yesterday .They are ones we have had bought for us do I need to do anything for her ,apart from feeding her etc ?We have put her in a seperate run of her own with her own nest box.
We have two big hybrid hens Gerty and Lola and three bantams Toffee a partridge bantam and Mable and Penny.

Any advice at all is greatly appreciated. As we are novices and have much respect for all chicken lovers.

JC57

I got some questions!

I have a broody Black Copper. She has been sitting in an empty nesting box in the main coop for over a week now. Last year I let a broody try to hatch in the main coop and it was a disaster because I couldn't keep the other hens out and the eggs kept getting broke.

I have an old duck house that I want to use as a broody coop. It is very secure and will be locked up each night. I plan to move it next to the coop run and put up a pen around it. My broody will be separated from the other chickens but still be able to see them.

I will be giving her some of my own eggs to hatch. Once I get the broody coop/pen set up should I put the eggs in it and move her in at night? Or move her during the day?

Back
Top Bottom