1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen tries out Trader Joe fertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by K8tieCat, Jul 5, 2011.

1. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Couldn't get a hold or "real" eggs, or day old chicks in 21 days, so I opted to cure a broody with some potential babies. Have no clue if it will work. May not need a hen since our weather is over 100° for the last several days [​IMG]

Wish me luck, I've never attempted anything like this before. Miss Broody already broke one egg stepping on them. Down to 11 eggs. No chance to add chicks on the fly or use an incubator since I have no way of separating new chicks from the old ones. At this point, I'm just hoping mom stays on the eggs long enough to hatch some.

Went out with a flashlight at 10:15 pm to see what was going on...She's on the nest and it's 90° in the coop. Bless her pea-picken' beady little head.

Since I live in town and am limited to number of birds, I'm hoping any hatchings over my limit will go into the freezer.

They are white eggs. Darn. Guessing they're leghorns. Time will tell.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Trader Joe's fertile eggs in Northern California will hatch out White Leghorns.

Meet TJ, whom I hatched with three Josettes.

[​IMG]

3. K8tieCat

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Thanks Greyeyes! Wow, it can really happen!! I'm excited and very nervous. Hmmm....Leghorn wouldn't be my choice for a pet-like bird, but I understand they are great egg industry layers. What do you think my odds are of getting any pullets - should any hatch, of course?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your odds are 50/50 unless ranchhand steps in with her rooster voodoo hoodoo. [​IMG]

5. K8tieCat

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Oh, yes, give the the voodoo hoodoo!!! Ha! Well, looks like if an hatch, they most definitely will head for freezer camp. A Leghorn isn't really a dual purpose bird, will there be any meat on them?

6. mikki717

mikki717 My Drug of Choice- Chickens

Dec 7, 2009
    Hesperia, CA
    I just went on lockdown with 16 TJ eggs, with another 7 under a broody Silchen. Bator or Broody... maybe both!

Oh, and the leghorns are pretty lean. Whole foods has brown eggs that hatched out white chicks... I am thinking Delawares. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by