Broody hen very weak

Top Rooster

Crowing
7 Years
Aug 16, 2015
North East Oklahoma
i have a BA hen who hatches her eggs on the 17th she is separated unlike my other broody she is in a box that is 1 1/2 by 4 1/2 is that too small for her I never thought so until now I was getting worried that she wasn't ever getting up or drinking because I never see her do that and the water wasn't going down to often only like once a week! So I was thinking is she not getting up except once a week? Then I got her out of her nest to drink and eat which I don't usually do and she kinda stumbled at first and seemed very weak but she got back up and went to the water and drank I don't think she ate but I know she drank. Do I need to continue getting her off her nest once a day, I feel like she will die if I don't.

I usually put water and food by the broodies so they can eat and drink without getting off the nest. She could probably use some more calcium, too. Maybe give her some greens or lettuce. Hope she feels better and the chicks hatch!

i have a BA hen who hatches her eggs on the 17th she is separated unlike my other broody she is in a box that is 1 1/2 by 4 1/2 is that too small for her I never thought so until now I was getting worried that she wasn't ever getting up or drinking because I never see her do that and the water wasn't going down to often only like once a week! So I was thinking is she not getting up except once a week? Then I got her out of her nest to drink and eat which I don't usually do and she kinda stumbled at first and seemed very weak but she got back up and went to the water and drank I don't think she ate but I know she drank. Do I need to continue getting her off her nest once a day, I feel like she will die if I don't.
Check her and her nest for lice and mites. How thin is she?

what do I look for it's hard to see anything since she's all puffed up and she isn't super thin but lost some weight she also pecks me a lot while I try to look I can't see anything through her thick feathers can mites kill her?

That video shows the person checking the vent (butt), but you need to check the entire body because not all bugs live by the vent. And yes, mites or lice can kill a hen.

I have a bag of diatomaceous earth and bentonite clay. Could I put that in a plastic tub for the chooks to dust bath in? For mite control, of course.

Back
Top Bottom