broody hen? what are the signs

LOL...must be the time of year! My hen just got over being broody...thank goodness she is very sweet! We moved her off her nesting box after we removed her egg so she would be out and about. She would squawk at us and puff up, but didn't try to peck or chew our hands off
wink.png
I think next time she goes broody, I may let her be a momma
smile.png

She raises her neck feathers if you stick your hand in the box and tries to bite your fingers off. (I recommend heavy duty gloves when dealing with her if you must.) If you take her off the nest, for some reason, she'll immediately lay down like she still has eggs (I've only done this at night when my fingers have a better chance of survival.)

I don't recommend moving hens with eggs. I had a Buff Orp that had managed to cram herself into a nest meant for bantam hens and tried to move her. She seemed to accept it, then went back the next morning. I had 50% hatch after scrambling to put them back. The last time I moved her (first batch, lower nest so they didn't kill themselves falling three feet at three hours), she accepted it.

These are my 2 hens youngest: old english game bird bantam, name roady eldest: not sure on breed, name Blacky. Roady is half the size of blacky since she actually isnt technically a chicken (its complicated)

When they are broody they dig small "fake" nests and lay an egg in it and then they guard it like its hell

If you have a garden let them or her out keep an eye on them and see what they do

They also walk around clucking a lot
I had a broody ameraucana. She would NOT shut up when she walked around.
They will become hand killing machines! and peck or bite the ever loving stuff out of you if you try to touch them or their eggs!!
lol.png
I have a black australorp who must've not read the book on broodies pecking hands. She lets me touch, lift her, fiddle with eggs and handle the chick *1 of 6 eggs made it*. She growled a bit then just watched me. What's her deal?

I have a black australorp who must've not read the book on broodies pecking hands. She lets me touch, lift her, fiddle with eggs and handle the chick *1 of 6 eggs made it*. She growled a bit then just watched me. What's her deal?
Almost all of my birds are like this. They don't mind me messing with them, I do have one that won't let me close but I call her Skitz for a reason! I guess maybe my 'training' has something to do with it. When they started laying I went out several times a day and would quickly reach out and pet the hens on the nest. I would move quicker than they could peck and once they know I mean no harm I can slip under them and gather. Now my broodies might puff up a bit but they don't peck!

Back
Top Bottom