broody hen? what are the signs

No kidding about the poo. I was amazed, I thought it was my labs...........
lol.png
. Another characteristic is they puff all up, if you are so brave to move them from the nest, they stayed puffed up. Mine are sweet broodies though. They let me take the eggs and candle them. I pet them and talk to them quietly.

No kidding about the poo. I was amazed, I thought it was my labs...........
lol.png
. Another characteristic is they puff all up, if you are so brave to move them from the nest, they stayed puffed up. Mine are sweet broodies though. They let me take the eggs and candle them. I pet them and talk to them quietly.
that explains the giant poo! I was wondering why I was seeing "chicken patties." I am beginning to think I have two broodies right now. at 8:30 tonight I went to lock down the coop and two were still laying in the nesting area. This morning I noticed a huge area dug up on the floor. I collected 14 eggs yesterday so they may only be sitting on 4 now. Will the other hens lay and the broodies put them under them? They were extra loud past couple weeks too! They are almost a year old. I hope this thread isn't so old that I don't get feedback!

Are the eggs fertilized and you want them to hatch? Depends n the hen, but if you move her and eggs, she may not accept the new nest and try to return to original nest. Is there any way you can block that nest off from the rest of the hens and give them a new egg laying nest? The eggs she is sitting on should take about 21 days to hatch.

I don't know if all eggs are fertile but I do have a roo that likes to stay busy. Haha! I put new nest box in with wooden egg and saw a hen in there today. Hopefully she doesn't go broody! We decided to let the other one try to hatch. I will see if I can section her off tomorrow morning with something. Thanks!

Everyone talks about how aggressive their broodys get. I have a JG broody and she raises her tail and growls but that is about the extent of it. Maybe I am just a persistent enough that they don't fight me. I have always gathered eggs regardless of a hen in the box, I reach in quickly for their head, give them a pet and then reach under them, so far I have never been pecked with this strategy! My broody is due Tues or Wed, so proud of her, she has been an excellent little Mama so far, can't wait to see how her babies turn out!!

My roo is overzealous which is why she is missing feathers, poor girl! She has DOUBLED her size to cover 16 eggs!!!!

Ok so I kbow this is a older thread but my BO hen clucks around squeaking and has this massive terrible smelling poop, does this sound like broody behavior.

My girls reek when they are brooding! It seems like everyone wants to have babies right now too
he.gif
. I have 4 that are taking turns on two nesting boxes.!!!

Back
Top Bottom