Broody Hen will not budge?

Ol'FashionHen

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
The South
I finally have broody hen and she is doing a great job. But....she was setting on about 5 eggs and I suppose someone ? laid a shelless egg on them so she moved onto the new eggs laid that day. Anyway she will not get off those eggs so question is should I shew her off them in hopes she will eat & drink or will she stop sitting on them if I do make her get up? I was going to get a small wall feeder and waterer to put in the nest with her. Any suggestions....... this is my first broody ?
hu.gif

I just left mine alone, She'll eat and poop on her own terms. You may not see her, but she will. Mine was broody for about a month.

I would collect the eggs from under mine each day. She would move to a different nest if another one laid eggs in it. If you want you can put "fake" eggs under her, or mark the ones you want her to hatch (If they are fertile)

thanks LMC , I do get eggs out everyday , she seems to want everyone elses too, so when she moved the first time I put the non egg soiled ones back under her, I will mark the ones she is on now because these will be the three day mark and I once read you should keep the eggs within three days, any more there will be too much of a difference in the hatch. So oft I go with my handy dandy crayon. Wish us luck!

Back
Top Bottom