Broody Hen with Awful messy bum

kswizzyswizz

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2022
Hello! I have a broody mama, whos eggs are just about to hatch, and she wont get off the nest to poop unless i pysically make her. She had two eggs that were covered in poo, i did my best to clean them up with shavings and keep adding dry shavings to help with dampness, but this is pretty narly and worried about the eggs. she has had two successfully hatch, but given her poopy issues i put her babies under a different more expirenced mom. but at some point she will need to raise her own chicks.

half the problem is that i went out of town for a week and a half the people letting my chickens out did not collect a single egg. so i have had two eggs hatch each day since sunday. I have two other hens on their own nests and one already with chicks. So i cant move all of her eggs, but im not sure what to do about her poopy butt!! spot clean, trim her feathers back there and try my best to kick her off the nest every day to make sure she poops? I cannot afford a incubator nor do i thing i have time to order a cheap one.. date ive been guessing for incubation start date was the 23rd. the second day i was out of town.

you could take her off the eggs and put warm towels or something similar around them to keep them warm and take mama hen inside to either wash her then trim her bum feathers or just trim them straight away then let her go back to her eggs and make sure she gets off her nest to poo every day. ii hope this helps. please keep me updated

you could take her off the eggs and put warm towels or something similar around them to keep them warm and take mama hen inside to either wash her then trim her bum feathers or just trim them straight away then let her go back to her eggs and make sure she gets off her nest to poo every day. ii hope this helps. please keep me updated
i did this and thankfully she hatched all her babies the next day and has resumed her normal pooping regimen!

Back
Top Bottom